Smoked Pork Chops

Post by unclebuck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 14:33

This is a recipe that I use for my smoked chops:

5 lbs. thick cut pork chops.
2 quart filtered icewater.
5 tbs. uniodized salt.
3 tbs. demerara or dark cane sugar.
1 tsp. prague powder #1.

Dissolve all ingredients in the icewater in stone crock or stainless steel container. Put pork chops in brine, refrigerating for 2 days, turning them at least once. Remove them from brine, place them on smoker racks to surface dry(pellicle). I smoke them for 2 1/2 hrs. @ 80-90C. with cherry or maple.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 08:02

Wow Buck,
I finally got around to trying this recipe. I couldn't get my butcher to cut THICK chops. So, I threatened to put a collar on Steelchef and drag him into his store, right down aisle 12 up to the meat counter where I'd leave him for an hour. Boy, did that butcher change his tune! I had thick chops coming out of my ears. :roll:

At first, quite frankly, I questioned the cane sugar. But as they slide across your tongue, it all makes sense. It's just the right amount of salt and not overloaded with a bunch of other spices. Verrrrrrry nice. I smoked mine with cherry. Thanks for sharing! Great recipe. Hope you other folks give this one a go.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 20:30

It pleases me that you would try that recipe!!! I have also used it for my Canadian Bacon, however, when doing the bacon, I fire in 1/2 cup of maple syrup, instead of the demara sugar. Makes a delectable dish, especially with beer pancakes, eggs, & fried potatoes for breakfast!!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Mar 27, 2011 02:12

So; I've told Chucky to quit harassing his vendors but he won't and that's why the butcher wouldn't comply with his request. I gave old Gordo a ring and asked him to cut the old guy some "thick" chops.
We had a brief discussion about "bustin' chops" and he finally agreed. :razz:

Unclebuck! I have a lovely loin that is begging to by sliced into t'ick chops. Your recipe is wonderfully simple, the way that our mentors tell us is best. It will definitely be at the top of my list, right after I shovel the smoker out. :mrgreen:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 04:00

Steelchef wrote:
after I shovel the smoker out.
How did you get 50 pounds of your BS in your 25 pound smoker in the first place, Chef-O? :lol: You'll be shovelin' 'til next Thursday!
'Busin' chops' indeed! Just who do you think you're scaring? Why.... back in my day....

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Mar 27, 2011 04:54

Chuckwagon wrote:Steelchef wrote:
after I shovel the smoker out.
Why.... back in my day....

"In your day?" are you kiddin' us. No one here remembers the '60's......(1860's) :mrgreen:

Oh yeah! Speakin' of BS, mine may be measured by the pound but that doesn't compare to the scale against which you, the CHAMPION, are equated. We are talkin' tonnes, (metric tons!)1,000 kilograms or 2,204.62 pounds. :razz:

OVER: "C'mon back good buddy!"
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 06:28

Oh sure... does your wife know you "gave old Gordo a ring"?

Steelchef wrote:
I gave old Gordo a ring

My local "professional" butcher isn`t name Gordo. It`s Sasquatch! He`s a great guy with a big smile and size 15 Justins. And just like Steelchef, he also has a tongue that would fertilize five acres! :???: Sasquatch adds the maximum amount of fat allowed by law to his paint-peeling, combustible sausage. Then he throws in enough salt to melt the ice on Interstate 70 in January! He taught Chef-O to make "Blackout Bacon", and now the "confused Canadian" slices it so thinly, it only has one side! However, I really like Steelchef`s hamburger patty recipe. Oh, don`t misunderstand! We don`t consume the stuff. We use it for skeet-shooting "clay pigeons. You see, even the fully choked blast of a 12 gauge shotgun can`t blow one of Chef-O`s ghastly burgers apart! :mrgreen: Nevertheless, after eating Steelchef`s "Homicidal Ham", a few of his guests have actually gone on to lead near-normal lives! So pards, unless you have a cast iron stomach, be aware that Chef Of The North once ran the 50 yard dash in a 49 yard gymnasium! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Mar 27, 2011 07:40

Nah, It`s Gordo!
Sasquatch is your uncle, remember? The guy with the hairy knucles who gave me the `blackout bacon` recipe? :?:
Those ceramic knives really are the SH!T. I would never have believed `one sided bacon.` :wink:
And; who has a "professional" butcher that works in a supermarket?
The `burgers are your recipe as is the ham which you represented as something to do with `Bob?` I substituted garlic powder for the recommended gunpowder in both formulas and reduced the salt from 50% to 5%. :lol:
One more thing, get a new shotgun pard, that old flintlock couldn`t destroy a raw egg. :shock:
I recommend that you resume the medication. There is no shame in using pharmaceuticals, when truly needed, if you get my drift. :razz:

Respectfully. :mrgreen:

Steelchef
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 14, 2011 07:08

Why you shady, sanitarium escapee! :shock: Pharmaceuticals indeed! And just one little left-turn into the Rusty Spur and you blab to everyone. What`s wrong with one little snort? And it was sipped too! :roll: Yeah, just because I painted my tonsils with a couple of horns of South Valley Rukus Juice, you make a big deal out of it! Shucks, a man bends an elbow at a wild mare`s milk thirst emporium and sips just three little persuaders of anti-fogmatic.... and suddenly he`s got a brick in his hat, or worse, all of a sudden he`s a white liner eh? Now listen here, you seven-by-nine shavetail! I don`t figure a slantindicular snuffy like you should be passin` judgement on a saddle-sore, sidle-shuck tramp like me, just because I had four or five very small pucker puddles of prairie dew. Surrrre! Merely half a dozen "Who-Hit-Johns" down at Deadshot`s Doggery n` Groggery and you`d think a waddy is one of them-there "crinymals" eh? Shucks, seven or eight bees in the bonnet just to curry the kinks out, and you`d think a man is some kind of exfluncticated, no-account, rig rip, instantly drawn to the dram shop! :mrgreen: And another thing, you, you..... you alfalfa desperado! Anyone who would substitute garlic powder for perfectly good gunpowder, has got to be some kind of absquantulated cow kicker with a proclivity for divin` headfirst into the cacti! :razz:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon