Dry Cured Bacon Need help

widetrackman
Beginner
Beginner

Dry Cured Bacon Need help

Post by widetrackman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 03:59

I am a newbie to the site which I find quite exciting. I didn't find a process, (if there is one) for dry curing and cold smoking bacon like country ham. I had rather cure for a non refrigerated product. I used to be able to purchase hanging slabs processed similar, years ago in my area of Ms but not now. If there's a way could someone advise me with; the cure, cure/overhaul, time in cure and time in smoke or anything else. Thanks
Last edited by widetrackman on Thu Mar 24, 2011 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 04:57

Hi widetrackman,
Welcome to WD. :smile: There is a post in "smoked pork products" regarding your question. When you see your question, look directly above it just two topics. It's in the "sticky" forums. Here is the link:

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=15

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
widetrackman
Beginner
Beginner

Post by widetrackman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 05:49

Chuckwagon wrote:Hi widetrackman,
Welcome to WD. :smile: There is a post in "smoked pork products" regarding your question. When you see your question, look directly above it just two topics. It's in the "sticky" forums. Here is the link:

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=15

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Thanks Chuckwagon, maybe I didn't find the right post or old age is getting me. I didn't want to do the zip lock bag/brine and smoke to say 140 INT. My dad used to cure hams in a salt box for 6 weeks with a sugar cure, similar to Mortons, repacking twice. Then washed real well let dry 1 day, then hung from smoke house ceiling and cool smoked for 48 hrs. then rubbed with molasses and sprinkled with fresh ground black pepper, rehung for 2 days, then baged and hung for 6-8 months. I would like to do something alike , but think that 6 weeks in the cure would be to salty and not sure of the cure to use as well as a shorter hang time. Thanks