Eating with your eyes

story28
Passionate
Passionate

Eating with your eyes

Post by story28 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 17:02

In Mr. Marianski's book Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages, his canadian bacon recipe calls for brushing the pork loin with beaten egg yolks prior to smoking for a nice sheen.

Does anyone else have any tips or tricks to improve the appearance of their products, without compromising quality?
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 02:06

Story28,
I know your post was a while ago - I have put into the smoker dried corn cobs for the last few hours, they give the meats a nice gold sheen.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 24, 2011 03:26

Different wood species result in different finished color of product. Some sites address this.
Wood smoke has been analyzed and found to comprise some 250 chemical components but not all in the same proportions so that maple may produce a different color of finish than pear or than hickory or than oak. Oak and beach are in the same genus but different species. I remember that dad said that corn cob produced a dark color smoke. I would have to play with small samples to find what pleased me. I think that 6 inch squares of bacon would be good subjects for testing a variety of wood species smoke. Go to a local saw mill and ask for slab wood of all of the species that they run. Label them and try each one. Then make a contract with the saw mill to save you the slabs of that species. I would bet that the cost of a pick-up truck load would be about one ham.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 04:23

Cool comments guys. I have heard of using corn cobs but I have never heard of anyone noting their ability to promote sheen. I wonder if there is a chemical or perhaps something to do with residual sugars in the cobs caramelizing -- but that sounds a little out there.

Im not so curious about different woods imparting different colors as much as these less familiar techniques of basting with egg yolks or quick hot showers to allow fats to migrate, or whatever the case is. I have always found those little tips and tricks worth seeking out when it comes to working in fancy kitchens, so I am trying to find some within the realm of charcuterie & salumi
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 04:24

ssorllih wrote:Different wood species result in different finished color of product. Some sites address this.
Wood smoke has been analyzed and found to comprise some 250 chemical components but not all in the same proportions so that maple may produce a different color of finish than pear or than hickory or than oak. Oak and beach are in the same genus but different species. I remember that dad said that corn cob produced a dark color smoke. I would have to play with small samples to find what pleased me. I think that 6 inch squares of bacon would be good subjects for testing a variety of wood species smoke. Go to a local saw mill and ask for slab wood of all of the species that they run. Label them and try each one. Then make a contract with the saw mill to save you the slabs of that species. I would bet that the cost of a pick-up truck load would be about one ham.
It goes beyond just the species, etc. etc. etc....temp makes a difference...moisture content makes a difference....heart wood vs. sap wood makes a difference...blah blah blah
I'll take a few pounds of swamp hickory heart wood for a truck load of slab wood any day!! And please, keep the slab wood! LOL

~Martin
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 24, 2011 04:40

My forestry book lists at least four varieties of hickory plus the closely related pecan do you have a preference?
Ross- tightwad home cook
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 05:16

I have both shagbark (the most popular) and bitternut (or swamp) hickory.
I prefer the bitternut (swamp), but either one is fine.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 05:21

I can send you some to try Ross, you may very well prefer the sapwood to the heart wood....that's fine...there's no 'right' answer...it's personal preference.
I like bold assertive flavors, so I prefer the heartwood.

~Martin
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 24, 2011 13:07

Both hickorys grow here. Thanks.
Ross- tightwad home cook