My Ham project

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 20, 2011 03:27

Bubba they are pretty, nice color, very tender,. Plenty of sugar? and your smoker is still shiny. Mine needs needs new innards.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:28

Thank you Ross,

Yes I added 1/2 cup sugar and also the other spices to the recipe I posted in this topic.
The racks are removed and washed after every smoking. :smile:
Ron
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Tue Dec 20, 2011 14:38

I should not of looked at this before I ate! Very nice.

Dick
Dick

Never quit learning!
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

My Ham progress

Post by Bubba » Wed Jan 18, 2012 02:28

I brined and smoked this 3rd batch about 2 weeks ago but never had time to post the photos.

On this batch of Pork Loin I figured a way to reduce the density of smoke applied over time, and what a big difference it makes!
I used 1/3 the amount of Beech chips on the 3rd batch compared to the 2nd batch, but made the smoke last 3 times longer.
From earlier postings I adjusted the recipe to Chuckwagon's suggestion (at the time he said the brine was too stout).
After I have made another batch to be sure I have a recipe that repeats I will post again.

This was the 2nd batch (I posted this photo a few weeks back after smoking), have a look at the relatively dark smoke effect.

The 3rd (last) batch, compare how much lighter in color this is; the taste was much improved, and it is very moist.

Having fun with my new Electric slicer, now I can slice very thin!
Ron
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 03:40

Hi Bubba,
Both loins look great to my way of thinking. Please do let us know about it all. I have this urge to learn and eat smoked goodies.
Did you pump the loins? I always do and than soak them in fresh water overnight after being submerged in brine for 5-6 days.
Do let us have the recipe.
Regards,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 18, 2012 03:41

Looks very good. If it is too salty or smoky it can always be used in soup.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 07:20

VERY nice Bubba. The color is great and it is uniform. The texture looks just right and I'll bet it tastes better than any you've had before. Much improvement in the last batch eh? Good going. Enjoy.
But Bubba.... just look what that salt-water did to your hand! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Thu Jan 19, 2012 02:05

Very nice job, it even put a smile on your cutting boards face :wink:
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Jan 19, 2012 02:13

Chuckwagon wrote:just look what that salt-water did to your hand!
:lol:

Thank you everyone for the compliments, I have thumbs up from everyone that has sampled this.

Here is the ingredient list along with the process I went through.

Before anyone tries this, please be aware that I intend doing this again to ensure everything repeats to achieve the same final flavor.

Started with a whole pork loin ($1.89/lb on sale!) with a total weight of 9 lbs.
My setup only allows me to brine smaller portions so it was cut up into 3 x 3lbs portions.

My 1 gallon brine mixture was adjusted to 1-1/2 gallons because I need ½ gallon brine per 3 lbs.

This is the 1-1/2 gallon brine ingredient list (please also pay attention to the volumetric ingredients, this recipe will be converted to weighted ingredients in the near future)

Brine (1-1/2 Gallons)
1-1/2 gallon water
1-1/2 cup kosher salt (Mortons course Kosher)
1 cup sugar
4-1/4 Tbsp Instacure #1
1-1/2 tsp sage
1-1/2 tsp thyme
1-1/2 Tbsp Gin (heated to remove alcohol)
1-1/2 tsp coriander
3/4 tsp garlic

I pumped each 3 lb portion to the equivalent weight with Brine 10 %, and then brined each 3 lb portion in 1/2 gallon brine for 5 days in separate containers. They were rotated daily.
At the end of day 5 I removed the Loins, washed them under clean water and hung in a refrigerator for 12 hours to dry.

Next day I preheated the smoker to 90 F, and placed the Loins in the heated smoker for 1 hour with no smoke. Then applied slow Beech wood smoke over about 2 hours, using an equivalent of 2 hands full of chips.

Gradually increased the smoker heat over the next 14 hours to 170 F (I let the smoker continue throughout the night), and after about 20 to 22 hours I had an IMT of 150 F.
Removed the smoked Loins from the smoker and submerged them in cold water (regular faucet / tap water) until they reached IMT equal to room temperature (69F).
They were hung and left to rest in room temperature air for about 6 hours, thereafter refrigerated for 12 hours.

When I cut 2 sample slices (one cold and one to fry) it was very tender but I felt it was ever so slightly too salty after frying.
Each smoked Loin was then submerged in purified water (1/2 gallon per Loin portion) for 12 hours in the refrigerator.
The next day I cut another cold sample slice, and I thought it was (and still is) the most divine and moist ham ever tasted!
The overnight soak in purified water removed the slight salty edge, and when sliced thinly, it was very pleasant.

Very different to what one can buy in any store.

Another point to keep in mind is that 2 of the 3 Loins were never cut after smoking when they were submerged for the last purified water soak. On the 1 Loin I cut as a sample the day before I found the outside slice that was cut previously was a little bland. The next slice was good as all the others.

I`ll keep the "recipe" just like that and make some more, I have another 3 x 9 lbs fresh whole Loins frozen that were bought the same day on sale!
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 19, 2012 02:25

So far so good . No dog food. I think you may have a winner. thanks for the details.
Ross- tightwad home cook