Makin' bacon questions

nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Makin' bacon questions

Post by nuynai » Tue Jan 03, 2012 16:16

I went to a reputable butcher and got pork belly for making homemade bacon. I made it twice but my pieces didn't have anywhere near the amount of meat that the stuff he sells does. Am I getting the wrong cut. Next time I plan to question him on this. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by nuynai on Mon Jun 11, 2012 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 03, 2012 17:42

Nuynai, I use a skin side cut from a butt for making bacon. Look for the thread "ssorllih bones his butt" Some times it is very fat and sometimes it is rather lean.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 23:31

Hi Nuynai,
Check out this link and be sure to use both the horizontal and vertical tools. Move the scanning tool along the belly and you'll see the best part to be looking for when you go to the market.
http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/page ... rotation3d

Something else you might consider is looking for a meat wholesale outlet or a source that sells at the slaughterhouse. Most sell only to retailers in bulk but sometimes you can find a source that will also sell to individuals. You may have to do some looking but it will be worth the time if you do find a reputable meat supplier. Check you local telephone "yellow pages". Ask for "pork bellies" and if you are lucky, you may be able to choose your own. I have to buy 4 at a time in a huge box. I just split a box with my neighbor. Good luck!

Best Wishes
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D