PHOTO GALLERY of Smoked Pork Products

jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 15:44

ssorllih wrote:John you have joined a growing list of members that are making beautiful home cured and smoked bacon and ham. Yours look good enough to steal. :smile:
And to think it took my Favorite Sausage Maker in my home town (Kopytko's in Hamtramck, Michigan) to close down :cry: for me to begin my quest in making my own sausages etc. :grin: which lead me to this great forum :smile: and all it's great members who are willing to share their knowledge and expertise not to mention their recipes for making some assume home products :mrgreen:

So thanks to you all
John
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 13:54

Part two of my Bacon experience is complete. I dried half of my Pork Belly in the Fridge overnight after a seven day nap and put the two pieces in the smoker this evening! The other half of the belly I plan on leaving them in the cure for another week (this was suggested by the Butcher that I got the Pork Belly from - 2 week cure time as opposed to Devo's recipe of 7 days). I also Sliced and packaged both my Canadian Bacon and the Maple Cure Bacon. I fried up a couple of Pieces of the Maple Cured Bacon and it was good! :grin: Also made my annual Pierogi's (made and froze about 600+ of various types - over the 2 days) Here are some pictures of the Day.

Canadian Bacon all Sliced up and Packaged.

Me at my Pierogi station :cool:

Maple Cured Bacon in the Smoker (Start of Smoking Process)

Out of the Smoker after 2-1/2 Hours of Apple Wood Smoke - Pulled at an IMT of 150 degrees F.

Cutting the Skin of the Bacon (Note: I took a Break from making Pierogi's and changed it to my Bacon processing station :lol: )

Slicing the Bacon

All sliced up and ready to Package

Close up view of the Sliced Bacon

End Pieces cubed up and will be used to Season up some good old Pork and Beans :o

Pork Skin cut up for Dog Treats - My dogs are going to be in Heaven :grin:

This is one of the lucky recipients of those Pork Skins (Mac performing his guard duty on the Deck :roll:) Note: their are two others :shock: but they only patrol on the ground :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 14:13

John, I am so proud of you I could just spit! How far you've come. Wow. Outstanding my friend. Just a year ago, you were dependent upon some sausage supplier you mentioned to me. I believe he used to make landjaeger sausage for you. Now, you could make it for him!
And Mac looks great too! Merry Christmas my good friend, and keep up the terrific work!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

My first Canadian Bacom

Post by DLFL » Tue Jan 03, 2012 23:11

When I cut the loin in half I cut right down a hole made from the thermometer.

Canadian Bacon
adapted from Honey Butt bacon recipe

3.63 lb pork loin
1 1/4 tsp cure #1
1/6 cup sea salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup dried milk
1 1/2 Tbs pickle spice
Mix all ingredients
Coat loin and put into zip lock freezer bag. Store in refrigerator.

Each day for a week massage loin and turn it over.

On 8th day pull loin out, rinse it off with cold water.

Smoked with oak.

Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 03, 2012 23:20

looks nice the color is good and uniform which means the cure is uniform. How is the taste. what was the milk powder for?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue Jan 03, 2012 23:28

That looks very good DLFL!

How long did you have it in the smoker?
Ron
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 02:36

I used milk powder after reading that CW had powered dextrose in his recipe. That made me think of powered milk so I used it.

I smoked this for around six hours.

Dick
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 04, 2012 02:49

Dick, dextrose is a simple sugar, at best milk powder would contain lactose. But not very much. Sugar helps to reduce the salty taste in cured meats.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Wed Jan 04, 2012 03:06

Wow, Nice job DLFL!!! I was studying the pictures and was thinking the second picture was a underwater brine picture then after about 1 minute I realized it was smoke. Nice smoker!!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 03:10

Hi Dick,
You wrote:
I used milk powder after reading that CW had powered dextrose in his recipe. That made me think of powered milk so I used it.
Ouch! :shock: Dick, powdered dextrose is a sugar. It is glucose - a sugar refined from corn starch and is only 70% as sweet as "sucrose" which is common table sugar made from sugar cane or sugar beets. Dextrose is ideal for use in fermented sausage because it forces itself into cells and is the fastest acting type of sugar for use in lowering the pH (rendering the meat safe from bacteria). In other words, powdered dextrose is immediately fermented into lactic acid by lactobacillus and pediococcus bacteria.
It shouldn`t be confused with the properties of powdered milk which is used as a binder in comminuted sausage. Powdered milk is often used as a substitute for soy protein concentrate.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 03:28

Either way this is the best Canadian Bacon I have ever eaten. I like to try things and some work and some like the venison roast fail.
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 04, 2012 04:04

Dick, in much of what we do there is a good way and a better way but no wrong way. Bacon is supposed to come fron a pork belly but I cut mine form a pork shoulder butt. Not right , not wrong , just different.
Tonight Nancy ate prok butt bacon and pancakes for supper. Not traditional but not wrong. Using milk powder in your canadian bacon cure was not wrong just not particularly useful. Certainly didn't hurt anything.
Nancy has proclaimed to most everyone that at first she had her doubts about this homemade bacon/ham/sausage idea but now she encourages me because as you have discovered even if it isn't perfect it s far better than what we can buy. AND much less expensive.
Very ofter the stores sell whole boneless loins for a buck and a half a pound and I have seen Canadian bacon for eight dollars a pound.

Just keep smoking. As a masonary instructor once told us, " if it looks perfect it is perfect."
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 14:12

If the curing liquid has perfumes added the meat will take on those flavors. Milk does have a taste so it stands to reason that it will make a difference. I will have to get a whole loin cut in half and compare using milk in one recipe to see I can differentiate between the two.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Dave B

Post by Dave B » Thu Jan 05, 2012 00:06

Dick the bacon looks good ,I too just tried my first attempt at usa style Canadian Bacon
My wife has a hard time eating belly bacon This stuff makes a great BLT sandwich :lol:
Thanks in advance Dave B
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

2nd batch of bacon

Post by DLFL » Thu Jan 26, 2012 15:15

I used " Devo's Bacon Recipe", but used all honey for the sweetner, and adjusted salt and cure for 6 lbs of meat. Recipe

Dick

Never quit learning!