Baleron (Polish Smoked Pork Shoulder)

jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Tue Nov 20, 2018 14:43

Along with making some salceson and bacon this weekend, I also gave a shot in trying to make baleron. It certianly didn't turn out as "pretty" as some of the pictures I see here but the flavour was quite tasty. I cured it for 14 days with pepper and bay leaves. Wrapped it in the beef middle, smoked for 3 hrs and poached to temp. Some of the Polish "critics" say it doesn't taste like baleron but rather like szynka (ham). Concidering I've never tasted a baleron before, I can't comment on the taste accuracy of it, however, quite juicy and flavorful. Comments are greatly appreciated, especially on how to get that nice "football" shape.
JjNUrK
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Nov 20, 2018 15:22

jjnurk wrote:especially on how to get that nice "football" shape.
baleron never is in round shape (even american football)... yours looks like classical - let him cool down in fridge overnite (picture is made when baleron was warm). Before slicing take out beef bung. Smacznego
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Nov 21, 2018 05:56

Looks delicious. Nice job.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 22, 2018 02:58

jjnurk wrote:Polish "critics" say it doesn't taste like baleron but rather like szynka (ham).
Geez, if you take a pork cut, cure it and smoke it, of course it will taste "like ham". Baleron is also known on this side of the pond as "cottage ham". Right below it is the "picnic" portion of the shoulder and you could also make a "picnic ham" out of it. I think that the collar or coppa cut is one of the choicest parts of the pig.

Anyway Joe, it looks great and if you say it's flavourful, then that's all you need.