Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Sep 19, 2012 14:50

I'm done with hunks of wood... :wink:

I've been using the A-maze-n smoke generators because:
- reliable
- easy to control
-consistent results
- wide variety of wood choices
- easy to mix-n-match wood types; pellets or dust
- can smoke unattended for long stretches of time (10-12 hours)

Kevin

Three hours of moderate hickory smoke for this bologna load:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 19, 2012 15:07

perhaps if I did a lot more smoking and if my sources for wood in variety were less convenient I would consider using another source for smoke. I can get a 2 to 4 hour smoke burn without attending to the fire. I have the time and I like to play with fires. On top of all of that I like my results.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Sep 19, 2012 16:37

Hi Kevin.

My opinion is, that the only thing that matters is the end result. (Hmmm..... do the big companies say that too......?)
When I was young, I worked in Budapest hotel Astoria, and asked for a recipe from the chef. He looked at me, and sad, "my friend, you do NOT need a recipe, you have to learn how to cook".
Nobody cares if you play the piano with your left foot, or ears, they just want to hear beautiful music.
My boss needed a hammer, he sad it's my choice if I file it by hand, or use a CNC machine with carbide, or ceramic inserts, or wire EDM it.....

******Now if don't believe I was young ones, I got pictures to prove it too...... :grin:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Wed Sep 19, 2012 17:32

NorCal Kid wrote:I'm done with hunks of wood... :wink:

I've been using the A-maze-n smoke generators because:
● reliable
● easy to control
● consistent results
● wide variety of wood choices
● easy to mix-n-match wood types; pellets or dust
● can smoke unattended for long stretches of time (10-12 hours)

Kevin

That sums it up PERFECTLY, Kevin!!!!
Godspeed!

Bob
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 03:38

Bob,
You mentioned a "kiss of apple smoke" and I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I would say an hours worth of smoke just might be that kiss. Certainly a 100mm stuffed casing might take up to 8 hours or more in order to reach the proper internal temperature. So I'd think that keeping smoke going for the whole 8+ hours would certainly be more than a kiss!

I'm still interested in knowing if anyone weighs the amount of chips or sawdust they're using to get a light, medium or heavy smoke. Or how many cup fulls you're using.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Thu Sep 20, 2012 05:30

Yes, an hour or so of thin apple smoke should do it.
Apple is mild.

You can vary the smoke with the A-Maze-N smokers, the smaller sawdust smokers produce a fairly thin smoke, but only for cold and warm smoking.
The pellet smoker can be used at higher temps if desired, either sawdust or pellets can be used in that and you can vary the amount for more or less smoke....another great advantage to the A-Maze-N.
Godspeed!

Bob
unreel

Post by unreel » Sun Sep 30, 2012 05:40

i have a homemade smoker 3x3x4 with a bradley smoke generator on it and a small colman burner on propane for my heat. the smoke generator works great as it has chips that burn for 20min. each than has a timer that pushes another chip to the heat plate so you can load as many chips as you want and mix the flavors as you go. i use mostly hickory and alder and for turkeys i use hickory and apple. i can do about 50# sausage at a time and can do 6 20# turkeys in a load. ive used this setup for about the last 10yrs and its worked out great for me. :lol:
john i
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Sep 30, 2012 07:33

On the subject of the A-maze-n smoker, I got one a couple of months ago and used it three or four times with great success in my Bradley. I found it to be very effective when cold smoking using the cold smoke adapter with my Bradley. Using the Bradley smoke generator with the cold smoke adapter still raises the temperature in the smoker by several degrees. The A-maze-n smoker is almost neutral.

But last nite and today I had problems with keeping the pellets burning. They would start but the embers would extinquish after an hour or less. I think that the reason for this is that the pellets need to be completely dry and mine might have been affected by the rise in humidity at night. I keep them in a cabinet in a covered area but outdoors. Will take them indoors and do a test in a couple of days.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 30, 2012 20:43

Oven dry them.
Ross- tightwad home cook