Smoked Pork Loin

two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Smoked Pork Loin

Post by two_MN_kids » Tue Oct 16, 2012 20:03

This past week one of the local markets ran a special on whole pork loin for $1.78/lb. I picked up two at 10 lbs each, and followed this recipe: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/hams-other ... oin-smoked to prepare them.

I divided the brine recipe by four, and then multiplied the results by five, giving me five quarts of brine. Cutting the loins in half, I injected 2 3/4 oz. of brine and then submerged the pieces in the remaining brine for 24 hours.

I realize that 60° SAL brine is rather stout and the recipe recommends slicing up and frying a sample after the 24 hours soak. However, I didn`t, fully expecting an outside piece to be too salty anyway, but also expecting the salt levels to balance during the hanging time; from brine to smoker.

Having never attempted lacing any type of meat, I gave it a go and trussed up the loins, and then gave them the required resting time. Before placing in the smoker, I even gave the larger loins an egg yolk bath.

After holding at 120°F for two hours, I gave them apple wood smoke for four hours, gradually raising the temperature of smoker to 170°F. The smaller pieces reached 140°F in eighteen hours, and the larger required an additional three hours.

This morning, after the necessary photos were taken, I sliced one for a sample, and was rewarded with a smokey meat flavored piece of salt.

As there is an abundance of salt along with the cure#1, I feel comfortable soaking the smoked loins in clear water to draw out some salt, and then hang to dry. I was planning to soak for one hour per inch diameter, or about three to four hours. Then hang for a couple hours to dry.

I`m certainly open to other suggestions and comments.

Jim
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 16, 2012 21:24

I don't do loins simply because I find them too lean. I do rolled butts in two to three pound pieces and apply about 2% salt and .25% cure #1 and a mix of about 1.5% sugar with some molassas and a little water. I rub that mixture into the meat and and after a couple of days turn them and massage them againafter a week they are ready for the smoke. Never too salty. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 16, 2012 21:33

I would soak the too salty smoked loins for a day and taste a center slice and if still to salty soak for another day and taste.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Oct 17, 2012 01:12

Good advice as always from Ross. Here is my experience for what it is worth.

I've had bacon come out too salty and I soaked it. I was worried that it would lose its smoked flavor or become bland, but it came out quite well. The tricky part is figuring out how it is coming along on the salt end of things - are you soaking too long or to little? I stopped soaking when a piece or two cut from the end was just a little on the bland side. Then the center was just right. For loins (vs. my bacon), you might have to adjust your method a little. Worst case scenario is that you'll have cut one of those chunks several times before you know you've dialed in the others. Not too bad a risk!
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Oct 17, 2012 02:29

Thanks for the replies!

They are soaking in about four gallons of cold water and ice in one of my coolers. I couldn't find room for anything big in the frig. I will start test tasting about 7 am. :lol:

I was somewhat concerned about losing the smoke flavor. Glad to hear that it all doesn't wash off.

Anyone care to offer opinion for/against using such a strong brine solution. There must/may be a purpose for it!

Jim
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 17, 2012 05:09

Condensed smoke is a wood tar and as such is not very soluable.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 17, 2012 05:12

Just thought of something that may help. Taste the water that you are soaking the loins in. It should get salty as the salt is leached from the meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Wed Oct 17, 2012 05:49

Man! Ssorllih ... those rolled buts look AWESOME. And I agree I like a little fat. I've done the loins following the recipe in Stanley's book with good results, but must say I found them lean for my tastes.
Your rolled butts look great and I do believe I will try that next time.
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 06:55

Hi,
I agree with Ross, rolled butts are much better and a juicer cut of meat. The smoked loins I did awhile back, were on the dry side when cooked up with eggs. The smokey taste was great though.
Ross, those smoked butts look great. Congratulations!!!!!
Best Regards,
Jan.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Oct 17, 2012 16:29

After 10 hours of soaking in clear water, I sampled an end cut. It was rather bland, so I cut into the loin about 3 inches and tasted another sample. There was still some taste of salt, although not overwhelming.

I pulled all the loin pieces and hung to dry, and are now in frig. They will rest for 24 hours and then I will cut, package, and freeze.

Thanks for the comments. Ross, I think next time I'll try the rolled butt, they look so much more juicy.

Jim