Ordering Porkbelly for my slab bacon

redzed

Re: Smoked Picnics

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 31, 2012 04:13

Rick wrote:Redzed,
I'm interested in your picnics and how you do them. Is that the cut you purchased in the store, picnics? Did you wet cure them? I'm interested in learning your process as to how much brine was injected vs. green weight, how long they were smoked and what temps you used. I'd sure like some shaved ham sammy's for lunch sandwiches.
Rick what you see below is what I cured and smoked from two whole picnics: couple of small hams and two extra meaty bones for soup. (Ross if you come by I'll let you have the big one). I also got 6lbs of lean sausage meat and two goods hocks for head cheese. Used a basic low salt brine:
4 liters water
250 g. salt
8 teaspoons cure 1
125 g. sugar
3 smashed garlic cloves
big bunch of rosemary
small bunch of sage
about 20 crushed juniper berries

Heated the brine and simmered for a few minutes then chilled to refrigerator temp and added the meat. Did not weigh what I had, but its probably enough for up to 15lbs, as long as you can keep it submerged. Meat kept in brine for one week, then washed and soaked in cold water for about two hours. It then rested/dried in fridge for two days, then tied, bagged and hung in 60 degree temp overnight. Dried further in smoker at 12-140 for 2 hours then I added smoke and raised temp slowly, eventually reaching 190. The whole time in the smoker was seven hours, until the IT reached 150. I probably should have finished it in a simmering bath, but since it had a lot of fat in it, I was not concerned with it drying out. It tasked just like something from the farm and while not pretty, quite tasty. Certainly not salty, just right with the juniper, rosemary and garlic coming through nicely. There is a really good section on hams in Marianski's Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages that is certainly worth reading.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 06:03

Red, you ol' scalawag! Those are bee-you-tee-full! Nice work pal.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 06:06

Hi Red,
Looks good!!!!!!!! I will try the rosemary and sage addition to the brine. Must be allright if you say so.
Regards,
Jan.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Oct 31, 2012 13:11

Hi Red! Boy howdy those hams look gorgeous and exactly what I'm thinking about doing next. I'll truy the garlic, rosemary and sage in the brine too. I'm wondering if injecting the hams with 10-15% of their green weight would reduce the amount od soaking time. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 31, 2012 13:20

I am going to have to try the soak in brine approach. Those look so fine. I am patient enough to plan so far ahead that I could have them ready for a given future date. Hanging them in bags or nettingmakes them nice and neat looking and is much easier than tying them with turns every inch or less.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Oct 31, 2012 13:26

Hey Ross, glad to see you've got power, sounds like the worst is over. After checking it looks like it still takes 5-7 days soaking after being injected with the brine. I'll wait for cooler temps to come during winter. make it easier to keep things cooled down for long periods in my cowboy refrigerator.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 01:38

Ray, pumping the picnics will definitely lessen the brining time, by as much as half. It also depends on the size of the ham and degree of salinity. My brine was less than 30°, but I had pretty small cuts of meat in there and in retrospect, I should have added a bit more. My wife always complains about too much salt so I did this for her. If you review the section on hams on this site, 60° is recommended and tables provided to correspond with the weight of the meat. Another factor is the amount of skin on the cut since that will slow the curing. And something that I really believe in is is equalization. I let my cuts rest for over 48 hours after removing from the brine. And don't skimp on the rosemary and garlic, they really impart a nice flavour into the hams. Juniper berries are used in most German style hams, and they also complement the ham well. If you have some, throw them in too. I have purchased smoked picnics at supermarkets and the only thing you can taste in them is salt.
Good luck!

Chris
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 01:55

ssorllih wrote:I am going to have to try the soak in brine approach. Those look so fine. I am patient enough to plan so far ahead that I could have them ready for a given future date. Hanging them in bags or nettingmakes them nice and neat looking and is much easier than tying them with turns every inch or less.
Ross I also remember reading somewhere that brining will also absorb the other flavours into the meat, whereas dry curing will only result in the absorption of the salt and nitrites. So if that theory is correct, your hams should be tastier.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 01, 2012 02:02

I think that next I will mix the herbs and spice with the dry cure and see how it absorbs. I have been quite pleased with the control of the salt in the hams and bacon. I think that sometime in the past I brined one piece and dry cured another and decided that the results were very close to each other.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:52

Topic Split 11.04.12@02:50 by CW. See "Stockinettes" in the For Beginners forum.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D