Smoked picnic for the cooking pot

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Smoked picnic for the cooking pot

Post by ssorllih » Sun Oct 28, 2012 21:31

Early last week I bought a fresh picnic and asked the butchers to slice it into inch thick slabs and leave the hock in one piece. I cleaned off the saw dust and applied a cure consisting of 2% salt ,.25% cure #1 and about 1.5% sugar and a bit of molassas for a brown sugar flavor. (light brown sugar is 10% molassas). I rubbed the cure into all of the pieces and put them in an enamaled tub and overhauled them every couple of days. Friday night I spread them out to dry in the fridge and yesterday morning I got them out to warm up and dry some more. Them went into the smoker when I got home about 6 and I started an apple wood fire and choked the air supply. I kept the smoke going until about midnight when I went to bed and let the fire tend itsself. This morning I put them in a 170°F oven to bake to 140°F it took neatly 3 hours as they were two deep on the sheet pan. They came out nicely and will make a good meat for a bean pot. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Oct 28, 2012 23:39

Those steaks look amazing Ross. Those would go into not only beans, but chowders and soups as well. Well done.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 29, 2012 04:03

Hey Ross good lookin' stuff. I'd eat one right now!

How are you dealing with the storm?