Smoked Pork- need help

Mark
Beginner
Beginner

Smoked Pork- need help

Post by Mark » Tue Dec 25, 2012 22:24

Hey Gang:

I'm new to this site and very new to cold-smoking. I am wondering if there are any Poles on the english site, or perhaps people who might be familiar with the meat I am referencing below.

I used to live in Warsaw, PL and I wrote a friend of mine back there and asked her which meat it was that I was always eating (or rather addicted to) and she said it was: POLĘDWICZKI WIEPRZOWE - She was buying them from Krakowski Kredens.

This meat is what I am looking to re-create. Two questions for you, if you'd be so kind as to helping me out. 1)... Can you point me to this recipe for that meat? And 2). What type of wood is it that they are commonly using over there?

Thank you again!
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Dec 26, 2012 06:53

There are several Poles on the site that may be able to assist you.

I did a Google search for POLĘDWICZKI WIEPRZOWE and found quite a few hits for it. I then used Google translate to translate the pages into English.

Good luck and welcome to the madness!

Charlie
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 26, 2012 08:22

Polędwiczki wieprzowe are pork tenderloins. Polędwiczka is singular, polędwiczki is plural. If you are looking for a Polish recipe where pork tenderloins are cured and cold smoked, it probably would be described as Polędwiczka wieprzowa łososiowa. I have never made a cold smoked pork tenderloin but have smoked it very much like Canadian bacon using both a brine and dry cure. Since pork tenderloins are small you have to shorten the curing time. There is a traditional recipe for a cold smoked pork loin on the Polish site and I will translate it for you tomorrow. It may not be the flavour you knew in Poland, since there are now different variations and seasonings, so you will have to experiment. The basic cure is cure #1, salt and sugar. You can also add garlic, marjoram, all spice and juniper berries.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 26, 2012 08:34

This is the product you are looking for:
http://alma24.pl/produkt/707651/poledwi ... -grodzkiej

These tenderloins are not cold smoked but rather cured for 14 days, smoked and then simmered until cooked.
Mark
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 26, 2012 22:14

Hi Redzed:

Yes, Alma was one of the places that I was buying the tenderloins from. They also had kiosks in the shopping mall that I frequented which would carry them. I would be grateful to hear your translation as to how they are made. Thank you.

redzed wrote:Polędwiczki wieprzowe are pork tenderloins. Polędwiczka is singular, polędwiczki is plural. If you are looking for a Polish recipe where pork tenderloins are cured and cold smoked, it probably would be described as Polędwiczka wieprzowa łososiowa. I have never made a cold smoked pork tenderloin but have smoked it very much like Canadian bacon using both a brine and dry cure. Since pork tenderloins are small you have to shorten the curing time. There is a traditional recipe for a cold smoked pork loin on the Polish site and I will translate it for you tomorrow. It may not be the flavour you knew in Poland, since there are now different variations and seasonings, so you will have to experiment. The basic cure is cure #1, salt and sugar. You can also add garlic, marjoram, all spice and juniper berries.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 26, 2012 22:38

To begin with, I intended to translate a recipe for cold smoked loin, since you began your post with what looked like a question about cold smoking, but later I found out the specific product was not cold smoked. The description for the Krakowski Kredens smoked pork tenderloins do not provide the list of ingredients in which they are cured, so I can't make up a recipe for you. But if I was experimenting, I would brine them as opposed to dry curing them, since that would retain more moisture, smoke them somewhere in the 110-125 F range for a couple of hours, then finish them off by simmering in a hot water bath 160-170F, until you reach an internal temp between 140-145. For wood I would use apple, and throw in a few juniper berries to smoke as well. To achieve a nice golden colour you can paint the tenderloins with a beaten egg. (make sure the meat is dry before smoking).
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 07:31

Red and Cranky, your expertise is much appreciated. :wink: Thanks pal.
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Thu Dec 27, 2012 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Mark
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mark » Thu Dec 27, 2012 15:31

Chuckwagon wrote:Red, your expertise is much appreciated. :wink: Thanks pal.
Agreed, although I'm feeling pretty lost as to how I should approach this. I wish there were some in the Tampa, FL area who could guide me on this.

Are there classes to be found anywhere in the US? I'd go to the Polish one, but it will be some time before I make another trip back. Thanks all and Happy New Year.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 16:41

Mark,
Many meat products are soaked in saltwater brine with added nitrite. Often, up to fifteen percent of the meat`s weight in brine, is injected throughout the product to ensure complete distribution. One of the most popular meat products cured in this manner are pork loins trimmed of their silver skin and excess fat, and cured in a saltwater solution containing Prague Powder #1. Ten to fifteen percent of each loin`s weight is calculated and that much brine is injected into each loin. Very small "shots" are injected equally into several places in each loin. To determine the correct amount of brining solution to inject, simply weigh the meat. Move the decimal point one place to the left to determine the weight of ten per cent solution. In other words, if the meat weighs 15 pounds, inject 1.5 pounds of brine into the loins. Next, the loins are placed into the leftover brine and refrigerated. They must be completely covered by the brine and not exposed to oxygen. Note that it is most important to keep the temperature as near 38°;F. (3°;C.) as possible. Temperatures much above that point may enable the meat to begin spoiling; below that point, the cure`s effectiveness may be compromised.

10 lbs. pork loins
3 tblspns. Cure #1
4 qts. icewater
3/4 cup powdered dextrose
1 cup salt

Rinse the loins well following the fifth day brining, and pat them with a paper towel. When the meat is dry to the touch, it is slowly smoke-roasted to an internal meat temperature of 160°F. Traditionally, your favorite POLĘDWICZKI WIEPRZOWE is cooked only to 138°F then it is cold smoked for two weeks or more. Oh, and one more thing. In Poland, there is no hickory to smoke with. They use alder wood. Alder is perfect for this type product. About two hours ago, I pulled out 10 pounds of this stuff from my smoker. It is marvelous!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Mark
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 01, 2013 02:10

Chuckwagon wrote:Mark,
About two hours ago, I pulled out 10 pounds of this stuff from my smoker. It is marvelous!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

Wow, you know exactly what I am looking for. Thank you also for taking the time to explain it a bit further. I am currently reading "Home production of Quality Meats". This is all so new to me and much more of a science than I ever realized. On occasion I get out to Colorado to visit my brother, maybe I'll have a chance to meet you too. Thanks and Happy new Year. (I'm sure to have more questions. :-) )