Smoked Without A Pellicle

rahul12

Post by rahul12 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 08:52

So I finally bought an Amazn smoker and lit 'er up with a load of pellets. It faithfully produced a lovely thin stream of smoke for hours, though for how many hours I don't know because I fell asleep. I expected to get 11 hours, but I am guessing I got maybe half that. Too much draft probably. But that's another topic.

In the morning my andouille and hot links were 2/3's smoked, because I had not dried them properly to form a pellicle all the way around. They sat on a pan, and their backsides were moist going into the smoker and picked up ZERO smoke. :cry: That was Sunday morning. They've been in the fridge ever since.
rahul
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 26, 2012 15:31

If the sausage was in a pan then the down side couldn't get smoke because it was in a shadow. The sausage must either hang free or lay on a wire rack. The smoke flavor will accumulate even if/when you don't get smoke color.
Ross- tightwad home cook
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Dec 27, 2012 07:33

rahul12 wrote: In the morning my andouille and hot links were 2/3's smoked, because I had not dried them properly to form a pellicle all the way around. They sat on a pan, and their backsides were moist going into the smoker and picked up ZERO smoke. :cry: That was Sunday morning. They've been in the fridge ever since.
Do you have any way to hang the sausages in the smoker? If not, try and use a small grate from a BBQ grill or an old oven to lay them on. As stated above, the pan kept the smoke from getting to the sausages evenly and it can also hold moisture at the bottom of the sausages which can turn really ugly if a cure isn't used.

What type of smoker (box not generator) are you using?

I think the HARDEST part for me when smoking some items is waiting for the pellicule to finally get to the right spot prior to smoking.

Charlie