Greek Style Baby Backs

Smokin Don
User
User

Greek Style Baby Backs

Post by Smokin Don » Fri Jan 11, 2013 08:47

I was hungry for some Greek style baby backs. I don`t remember where I found the recipe but it is simple. It is just salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, lemon juice and zest. I get tired of my standard baby backs with my standard rub, Penzey`s Galena street rub. I usually do not sauce mine but serve sauce on the side.

I had baked potatoes and some steamed broccoli and cauliflower along with some bread and butter with the ribs.

I removed the membrane from the ribs, seasoned with salt and pepper, dried garlic flakes, oregano, the zest from one lemon and the juice of half lemon. I got them ready and covered with saran wrap and in the fridge about three hours before smoking. You can do them overnight, but it is best to wait a few hours before smoking to add the lemon juice.

I smoked the ribs a total of 4 ½ hours. 1 ½ hours at 180 deg. Then I went to 225 deg. for the rest of the cook. After 2 ½ hours I wrapped them in foil along with the juice from the other half of lemon for one hour. I unwrapped them for the last hour. I did go to 300 deg. for the last 15 minutes. This gave me almost fall off the bone ribs; the way we like them.

If you have a favorite way to do ribs use it; the end result is what is important and every smoker or grill may be different. I find the Greek style ribs a welcome change from the standard BBQ ribs once in a while. The wife and I enjoyed this supper.

Ready for the smoker

Ribs are done

Veggies are done

Ribs ready to serve

My Plate

Smokin Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Fri Jan 11, 2013 16:29

Those look great! Do you mind posting the recipe?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 11, 2013 17:39

I think he did. He just didn't list measures of spice. I wouldn't either because it is the sort of recipe that makes you use enough but not too much of anything. He did say about the lemon.
Ross- tightwad home cook
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Fri Jan 11, 2013 22:58

Great looking ribs. Look to be very moist and great smoke penetration as well.

The recipe sounds prefect for a change as you said.

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 00:25

Great lookin' ribs Don! You said you had sauce on the side? In my neck of the woods, we swim in tangy rib sauce just to stir it up before we put it on our ribs.
Just one more question. Do you make your own butter and how come you still have a flat tummy?
Great post pal!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Jan 12, 2013 01:43

Chuckwagon wrote:Great lookin' ribs Don! You said you had sauce on the side? In my neck of the woods, we swim in tangy rib sauce just to stir it up before we put it on our ribs.
Just one more question. Do you make your own butter and how come you still have a flat tummy?
Great post pal!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Don, me thinks Sir Chuck of Wagon has something to hide if he has to slather his ribs in sauce before eating! :lol: :o :shock:

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 03:34

Naw... it's just the way we're "riz" out here. :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sat Jan 12, 2013 07:53

Here is the recipe I followed BD. Spices are just to your taste, with fresh garlic I like at least 3 cloves on each rack, Lemon zest from one lemon on each and juice from 1 lemon on each rack.

1 or 2 Racks of Baby Back Ribs or spare ribs
2 to 3 garlic cloves or more to taste
dried oregano to taste
Juice of 1 to 2 lemons
Lemon zest (Optional)
salt and pepper

Mince garlic and press with back of knife to turn into a paste. (or use a microplane). I prefer just chopping the garlic fine. Rub ribs with garlic, rub on oregano, salt and pepper and lemon zest if using. Squeeze juice of whole lemon over ribs a few hours before cooking.

Note: These can be marinated earlier in the day or overnight, but do not add the lemon juice until a few hours before grilling or the lemon will change the texture of the meat.
For my taste you need the lemon zest.

I used 3 garlic cloves for 1 rack & would have liked more, but I am a garlic lover. I marinated for about 4 hrs. & added juice of 1 lemon an hr. before putting on the grill.
Smoke or grill these your favorite method. I usually do them one hr. on smoke mode 180 deg. then go to 225 deg. until done, usually about 4 ½ hrs.

Don
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sat Jan 12, 2013 08:04

To answer all, with the Greek ribs I do not use any sauce at all. With a standard rib rub I serve sauce on the side if anyone wants it but I still like mine Naked, with just the rub. I have done them with sauce on for the last hour to set it some, I don't like it with sauce dripping off, but many do.

I was using Kerrygold Irish butter here, at $7 US a pound a little steep for me but it is good. Made from grass fed cows.

CW the way I eat and like my beer my belly is anything but flat! :mrgreen: Don
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sat Jan 12, 2013 15:11

Thanks for posting the recipe Don. I will have to try that one.