Smoked Pork Butt

Smokin Don
User
User

Smoked Pork Butt

Post by Smokin Don » Mon Jan 28, 2013 18:07

Jan 26 2013

The other day I went looking for a large beef chuck to fix but came home with a pork butt. At $1.46 a pound I couldn`t pass it up. I will freeze most of it for using in other dishes, like tacos or chili. I prefer to get one from my butcher, they have no added solutions. This one was from Walmart. On the label it says all natural then another place it says 4% marinade added!

There is no rocket science here, just get it done where it is tender and moist. This is kind of my preferred method I have settled on that works for me. I rinse and dry it, coat with my favorite rub, slather on some mustard and it`s ready for the smoker. I do on smoke 170 to 180 deg. for 3 hours then go to 225 deg. for the rest of the cook. When it hits 165 deg. IT I double wrap in foil. When it hits 200 deg. IT I check it. I have an aluminum potato rod I poke it with, if it goes in like butter it`s done. I pull it and place in a preheated 200 deg. oven, turn the oven off when it goes in. Let set an hour or two then cool and pull.

This one I let set one hour and the temp was still at 193 deg. The bone came out with no effort; it was plenty moist and fell apart. It had a nice color to the bark. I didn`t spritz it or add any liquid when I wrapped it. The total cook time for this 7.7 pound butt was eight hours and twenty minutes. I did it fat cap down the whole time.

I have done them fat cap down then up when I wrap in foil. I prefer fat cap down in the foil now; the meat pulls right off the fat cap then I remove it from the pork broth with a slotted spoon. I use a gravy separator to pour out the good liquid and with this one I added about a quarter to a third cup back to the pulled pork. It went in the fridge overnight; I will use some for sandwiches tonight and vacuum seal and freeze the rest.

Pork Butt 7.7 lbs.

Ready for the smoker

165 deg. IT, ready to foil

After the rest

Bone pulled clean

Saved juice

First pull

Final pull tthe way I like

After setting in the fridge overnight I had pork sandwiches on toasted buns topped with apple butter BBQ sauce, corn pudding and sweet potato fries. Tasted great!

Corn pudding

My Plate

Smokin Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Jan 29, 2013 00:31

Nice job Smokin' D, I like your style! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Tue Jan 29, 2013 02:14

What's the going rate for an over night delivery of a pulled pork sammich from Ohio to Texas?

Looks darn good from here friend!

Now, about thar corn pudding, care to share? Us "suthen" folks don't have that one, and I'm really interested! :grin:

Charlie
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Tue Jan 29, 2013 05:31

CrankyBuzzard wrote:What's the going rate for an over night delivery of a pulled pork sammich from Ohio to Texas?

Looks darn good from here friend!

Now, about thar corn pudding, care to share? Us "suthen" folks don't have that one, and I'm really interested! :grin:

Charlie
Charlie I'll post in recipes,we here in the Midwest forget not everyone knows what corn pudding is! I love the stuff and go into withdrawl if I haven't had it for awhile! Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 13, 2013 00:18

This was my standard dry cure 2% salt including.25% cure #1 and about 2% surgar and molassas. These are slices right out of the middle.Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 13, 2013 07:31

Nice lookin' stuff ol' pard! It looks good enough to eat. :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 13, 2013 14:15

Those pieces went into a dish of scolloped potatoes.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:53

Okay, guys- - major problem here.
This is how they spell SAMMICHES in North Carolina.
Hey, Cranky- - are we going to put up with this?
:mrgreen:
new shop in Mooresville, NC
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 22, 2013 17:18

prolly just some local rednecks.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 04:57

The nurve!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D