Pork Loin $1.99lb.

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Pork Loin $1.99lb.

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Feb 08, 2013 00:03

Due to iffy weather and my wife having the flu we cancelled a Vegas trip for another month. Safeway has whole pork loin in the bag for $1.99lb this week, about as good as it gets. I've got two eight pounders cut in half, shot up with brine solution and soaking in the remaining brine in the fridge till Tuesday. Perfect timing, I'm down to my last pack of Canadian bacon in the freezer. I thought NorCal Kid and Cabonia might be interested in knowing that sale price, along with anyone else who frequents a local Safeway. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Pork Loin $1.99lb.

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 00:08

sawhorseray wrote:Due to iffy weather and my wife having the flu we cancelled a Vegas trip for another month. Safeway has whole pork loin in the bag for $1.99lb this week, about as good as it gets. I've got two eight pounders cut in half, shot up with brine solution and soaking in the remaining brine in the fridge till Tuesday. Perfect timing, I'm down to my last pack of Canadian bacon in the freezer. I thought NorCal Kid and Cabonia might be interested in knowing that sale price, along with anyone else who frequents a local Safeway. RAY
Looks like I need to hit the safeway down the street from me!
Thanks for the heads-up, Ray!

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Feb 08, 2013 01:45

Thanks Ray - great price. I will skiddadle over there!

Appreciate the heads up.

Jeff
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 02:44

NorCalKidPastorInSanFrancisco! You said, "Down the street"... are you kidding?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Feb 08, 2013 02:48

I found some whole Pork loins in that price range as well in a little town about 10 minutes from here, New Ellenton.
It's already been pumped and in the brine.
Ham coming up! :D
Ron
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 03:54

Chuckwagon wrote:NorCalKidPastorInSanFrancisco! You said, "Down the street"... are you kidding?
"down the street"...literally.
I have a local safeway about 2 blocks from my home; another 3 blocks from the church address.

I went to the Blackhawk store & they were all out! :mad:
BUT more in tomorrow. Price good thru the 13th. Time to pick up some more loins...
I did snag 15 pounds of pork butt for $1.69/ pound while i was there.

Need the loins, though. Boys got a hankerin' for more canuck bacon!
Piker

Post by Piker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 04:25

I get lots of it up here in Canada at the same price. I have about six of them in the freezer and use them for canadian bacon pork jerky ham sausage after i cure the loin in small pieces. I also have a meat tenderizer and make minute steaks which are great. Thks Pikler
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Feb 09, 2013 16:01

"I did snag 15 pounds of pork butt for $1.69/ pound while i was there."

A month ago Savemart was selling beautiful porkbutt for 99≠lb, I copped 120 pounds, I'll send you a heads-up when I see that price again. I'm going to pull the loins off at 145° this time and give them the ice-water bath. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 09, 2013 16:21

About fifty years ago loins were nicely marbled, kinda like prime beef ribs, but now they are so totally lean that I find them rather dry. How do you fellas manage to make a good juicy C.bacon without further drying?
Ross- tightwad home cook
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sat Feb 09, 2013 17:22

Do you guys have a SAMs club near by? It may be a regional thing but I want to say a whole pork loin in cryovac is around $1.47/lb at my local store.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 09, 2013 18:06

We are either blessed or cursed with at least ten chain food markets within ten miles. No one around here every has to pay a non sale price for any kind of meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Feb 09, 2013 18:47

So I wound up snagging about 13 pounds of pork loin yesterday; plus about 8 pounds of chicken thighs (99 cent a pound), and 5 pound of top round. Add this to the 15lbs of pork butt I picked up earlier this week, I'd say I'm in good shape to make something.....

Decisions, decisions....

Kevin
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Feb 09, 2013 18:59

Being slated to smoke the Canadian bacon Tuesday thru early Wednesday I'm picking up 30 pounds of chicken thighs today at 99≠lb. That'll give me 22-23 lbs of deboned thigh meat and skin, a perfect size for a batch of chicken-Italian-dried tomato-black olive sausage, my wife's favorite. The mid-week weather forecast looks perfect for smoking and hanging in the kitchen. After cancelling the Vegas trip we're now booked into Boomtown next Sunday and Monday. Oh my, Cabelas is right next door and I've got a $300 gift card! Life is good. RAY
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 19:57

I am just wondering about those poor pig farmers, with prices like that, these poor bastards surely must go broke.
The same in Australia, although not quite as cheap. Fore quarter and hind leg @ $ 3.99 kilo.
Belly $ 11.99 kilo. Go figure that out!!!!!!!!
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 09, 2013 20:01

Commodity lean hogs are at about 89 cent/pound on the hoof. I can depend on buying butts at USD 1.29/pound. somebody has to be losing money.
Ross- tightwad home cook