Bacon Ratings?

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Bacon Ratings?

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:27

I came across this article and was shocked at some of the prices these online bacon companies charge. I thought the $6-$7 a pound they charge in the local markets was high, turns out that's cheap. RAY

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/10-be ... 00607.html
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:21

One of my facebook friends talked about a bacon club. Once each month they will send 2 pounds of bacon for 49.95 plus shipping. I have been told that the bacon I make from butts is the best around here. The survey seems to support that as the DYI bacon came in at #5.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Apr 07, 2013 17:53

When I saw the number 2 rated bacon was from porkbutt rather than belly I immediately thought of you Ross. When I checked out the DIY recipe it said they only refrigerated the bacon with cure on it for 4 days, unless I read it wrong. I'm smoking a pork loin Tuesday for Canadian bacon and sandwich meat, but this has inspired me. I'll need to find 2-gallon ziploc bags, which I haven't yet come across. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Apr 07, 2013 18:10

I have four butts that I am going to dismantle today. Shall I video the effort and post it?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sun Apr 07, 2013 19:54

Actually Ross would you please do that. I am not very good at boning out pork butts and would love to see how it is done correctly, thanks.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 20:26

Not to intrude, I would be great-full to have that information.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Apr 07, 2013 20:32

ssorllih wrote:I have four butts that I am going to dismantle today. Shall I video the effort and post it?
I'd love to see that Ross! I'm quite adept at deboning a butt tho I don't really know where the lines are drawn to separate the butt into the section that would be used for bacon. Found 2-gallon bags at Walmart. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Apr 07, 2013 22:51

I have two takes on this from different camera angles. If anyone wants to look at this differently I will be glad to oblige. http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/nanss ... 7.mp4.html
http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/nanss ... f.mp4.html
Ross- tightwad home cook
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun Apr 07, 2013 23:41

I have made "butt" bacon for years. I like using bellies too, butt they are usually real expensive and I have always had to buy a 50 # case at a time. Last year at Christmas I was getting a burrito in our favorite Mexican Market and they had bellies for a buck and a half or so. So I made traditional bacon at Christmas. Everyone liked it.
V465
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Mon Apr 08, 2013 00:37

Thank's Ross for both videos, very informative. How long did you brine the bacon butt for. I have seen some recipes to cold smoke for the first, 4 hrs then cook. For a beginner that scares me, as for what CW has taught me. If I may ask what is your smoking process.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 08, 2013 01:20

As can be seen these are completely fresh butts. The cure schedule that I use is .25% cure#1and about 1.5% salt about 1.5% sugar and about .2% molassas. I rub this into/onto the meat and put the meat into a zipper bag for a week to ten days. Turning it everyday and making certain that it is uniformly exposed to the mix. At the end of the period I roll the large pieces like this, Image Image and hang all of the meat to dry in the fridge for a day or two and then introduce cold smoke of one of several choices for a few hours and then start raising the temperature until the meat gets to about 140°F. Then I shut the fire off and go to bed if the night is going to be cold.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 09:02

Great tutorial Ross, Thank you!!!!!. Your cure will be tried shortly as well.
At the moment I am housebound with a new knee replacement so I have to take things easy, I am told by my wife.
Keep up the good work,
Jan.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Apr 08, 2013 22:25

Dear Crusty,

Best wishes on your recovery. It's amazing what they can do medically, these days. I hope they used sticks instead of hooks to suspend you in the smoker during the operation. As soon as your internal meat temperature steadily maintains its 98.6°F and you watch a few of Arnold Swartzeneggar's "Terminator" films to see how to handle being metallic, you'll be just fine. I assume that you opted in favor of the optional grinder, stuffer, and cross country ski attachments. Now, about this mold covering and the ammonia smell...

But seriously, follow the exercise regimen and your new knee will turn out far better than the old one. My mother, who never was good at obeying other people's instructions, didn't, and hers gave her fits. Every other person I've talked to, other than her, followed the exercise advice and recovered wonderfully. You'll wonder why you waited so long!

Best wishes,
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Apr 08, 2013 23:10

Beautiful piece of work Ross, really well done and informative, thanks for posting that. RAY
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 23:26

Ross - I watched your videos last night. Thank you! Really helpful.

Jeff