Store bought bacon

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Store bought bacon

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:48

I stopped at a local supermarket today and among the things I bought was a sliced "smoked" jowl.. I suspect that it was taken from the brine, carried quickly through a smoke filled room, neatly sliced and vacuum packaged and heated to about 160° F. there is melted fat in the package. The only taste/flavor is salty diluted pork. The water content must be very high as it continues to pop and spatter the entire time it was frying.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Aug 23, 2013 18:28

Yes Ross, fact of life.

Like we get ground meat "tenderized" with tap water, the water price becomes the same as the meat price.

But carried quickly through a smoke filled room, rely made me smile. I know what you mean. :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sat Aug 24, 2013 01:35

Or how about "Chicken thighs on sale 99 cents a pound." 6 monster thighs in package a "1 pound pillow (moisture absorbent material) on the bottom. Hell they had to add water to get that much in the pillow! :evil:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 24, 2013 02:02

We just have to be careful when we shop.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 08:19

Whaaaat? :roll: YOU... "Rongway-the legend"! ...eating store-bought bacon? I can't believe it. You make the best bacon in America and you are messin' around on aisle 13 of the poached meat department? What in the ... Oh, I get it... you bumped your head again while sailing eh?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 24, 2013 13:18

I just had to check the competition. As it turns out there is no commercial competition.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Aug 25, 2013 18:10

ssorllih wrote:I just had to check the competition. As it turns out there is no commercial competition.
Boy howdy, is that ever the truth! I'm still basking in the glory of last weeks bacon efforts, going to make brekky in a bit. I couldn't get over the price they were asking at the local Safeway for their water-logged flavorless bacon, not cheap. On the wife's computer right now for the first time in months, be back to normal in a bit. Big TV day, we're all staying inside due to the taste of smoke in the air, even tho the fire is 100 miles away. Plans for deer season have changed because of all this, more later. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 05:00

Topic Split 082613@21:56 by CW. See "Speaking of forest fires" in Hyde Park.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

I think that I will continue my bacon innovation.

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 09, 2013 17:38

This morning I stopped at one of the local markets and made inquiry about fresh pork bellies. The manager said a case at a time about $3 per pound. But I can buy butts for $1.29 and get a three to four pound slab for bacon and a couple of roasts from each one. From the roasts I can make sausage or BBQ or just wonderful succulent roast pork.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Sep 09, 2013 18:55

The only place I was able to locate pork belly was a meat distribution business, and then it cost me about $2.80 lb, for the last bacon I made. I still have a quarter of the 120 pounds of porkbutt I bought last December in my freezer, 99≠ a pound. The next bacon I make will be when I buy more butts at the end of the year, just makes sense. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 10, 2013 00:22

Nancy came home today from her work at the church and I was telling her about the prices and availability of fresh pork bellies and assured her that I hadn't bought anything. She rather timidly asked why I wouldn't continue making bacon with fresh butts. I assured her that I fully intended to do exactly that.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:47

Ross, here I have to order a "half case" at a time (2 bellies) supposedly at retail price. The carton of 4 is HUGE and too much for one guy to handle. I've been able to "split" cases with a friend, but I still have bacon coming out of my ears. A couple of years ago, I honey-rubbed and smoked two entire case and took them to the BSA (Boy Scouts) for their Jamboree. It really made a hit with the boys at breakfast. For days, I had honey on my clothes, boots, and elbows, as well as in my hair, eyes, and mustache. Best of all, I smelled like hickory for days! Shucks, "them there dad-gummed" women-folk just love the fresh odor of hickory on a man! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Wed Sep 11, 2013 01:17

I just finished another skin side butt bacon cold smoked with hickory for two 8 hour sessions with an overnight rest. Absolutely fantastic once again.

BLT's with fresh garden tomatoes and Swiss chard tonight for supper. Talk about two happy campers :)
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Sep 11, 2013 03:14

Dave Zac wrote:I just finished another skin side butt bacon cold smoked with hickory for two 8 hour sessions with an overnight rest. Absolutely fantastic once again.

BLT's with fresh garden tomatoes and Swiss chard tonight for supper. Talk about two happy campers :)
Love your garden, chard and maters are my staple! RAY :wink:
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Wed Sep 11, 2013 05:57

I have found out here in California, that there are a certain number of Latino Markets that sell bellies trimmed and ready to go for around $1.75-$2.00 per pound. More prevalent as it gets closer to the holiday season
V465