Canadian Bacon "al la Krakowska"

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Canadian Bacon "al la Krakowska"

Post by Krakowska » Tue Sep 10, 2013 15:37

Both Kutas and Marianski mention placing Canadian bacon into a stockinette before smoking. Is this just for hanging purposes? Got 2 loins now in brine cut in half, just curious. Never had CB rolled in cracked black pepper, C.W. I might have to give it a try. So this is a SLOW cooking and smoking adventure. Apple / Cherry wood OK for this or should I use a stronger wood? Got access to all the oak I want.
Thank You in advance, much appreciated
Fred :cool:
Last edited by Krakowska on Fri Sep 13, 2013 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Keep them safe until they all come home.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 10, 2013 16:12

Fred when you hang a piece of meat it stretches and get longer and skinnier. If you hang it in stocking net it is supported and will be more compact. Lacking that you can tie the meat in a string lacing to hold it in shape and support it. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Sep 10, 2013 16:51

Fred-

In my edition of Ryteks book it says to stuff into synthetic casings.

It is not easy to do!!! However I have been dong it that way for a number of years.
If you want to stuff in 3" casings, cut the loin in half (sideways) to brine and then in half again (longway) to stuff into casings.

After smoking /cooking they come out a nice round shape great for breakfast sandwiches after slicing.

I like a strong smoke like hickory.

Great also in a potato/cheese casserole instead of ham!!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Sep 10, 2013 18:55

I always stuff my pork loins for smoked Canadian bacon into stockinettes, chickens too. Makes for a uniform finished product, easy hangin' too. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 19:17

Yup, and Fred... if you roll it in freshly-cracked black pepper, you'll load it up with flavor. When you slice off a little "bacon", allow a few cracked kernels of pepper to drop into the pan. A hot pan will quickly sear and caramelize the sugars of the meat for a first-class sandwich!
Throw away the store-bought "ground" black pepper. It has lost its flavor, believe me. Buy some fresh black peppercorns and always grind a little fresh as you need it. I prefer a coarse grind, but use what you like personally. You won't believe the difference it makes. :wink:
Apple-cherry make a fine smoke! It's a very popular combination and a good one. Keep up the good work pal!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 10, 2013 19:26

The McCormack Spice Company is now selling whole black pepper corns in a high quality grinder for the same price as the pepper corns in a plain jar.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Tue Sep 10, 2013 23:46

Thank You ALL so much for the input. So much can be gained by "asking" like my Dad always taught Me.
Thanks Fellas,
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Vinegar

Post by Krakowska » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:24

Thanks again fellas but another question popped up. I see the stockinette and the butcher twine used to keep the product supported. I will be using butcher string for my 4 pieces of Canadian bacon. The Kutas book mentions to soak the stockinette in vinegar for easy removal of supporting method upon completion. Is this necessary? I can see this could be a problem if You are looking for a more professional product since there will be a dry crust of the meat when finished and the binding of string to meat. I will be smoking this tomorrow, wife will be gone all day, got the beer on ice and the smoker ready to go.
Thanks Fellas, Much Appreciated, :cool:
Fred
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:52

Fred ol' pard,
The meat sticking to the string is an age-old problem and sometimes it pulls off chunks. It has driven sausage makers absolutely nuts over the years. Shucks, that's part of what's the matter with El DuckO today! :roll:
Many folks don't care to use vinegar on the string because of the odor. You can actually buy a non-scented, non-stick spray (called "Peel-Ease") on today's market at most any reputable supply store. It works well but is a little pricey for me, although it can be used on a hundred other applications such as grilling. If you smoke fish using screens, it is a must. Here's a quick link: http://www.sausagemaker.com/search.aspx?find=Peel-Ease

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu Sep 12, 2013 13:00

Thanks CW, OK how about this option, I am using an electric Brinkman but modified. How about just laying the loins on the chrome grating as is? I have 2 grates and would just sit there like a piece of smoked fish.

Thanks CW, Much appreciated,
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 13:32

It will still smoke Fred, although it may not hold together and be "mighty perty"! The stockinette is mainly for holding the meat together as well as aesthetic purposes. If you make one to give to one of your girlfriends, then use a stockinette and tie a nice bow around it too. If you just don't need it to be that pretty, shucks... just hold it together with a couple of strands of string. Good luck pal. How 'bout some photos?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 12, 2013 14:46

You can also use larger socks and just wrap the loins a little tighter, like these that I use for turkey and big chickens. I cut the sock or netting off as soon as the product comes out of my smoker before the fat has any time to harden, never had a problem with anything sticking too much. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu Sep 12, 2013 15:40

Gotcha, I do not have the stockinette so I will use the butchers string. Thank You CW and Ray, I really appreciate ALL Your help.. Got company coming over in a couple of days and besides breakfast I want to make some Chicken Cordon Bleu with a couple of pieces of CB in it instead of ham. Got a recipe from You tube that came out SUPERB. Best We ever tried, if interested here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuzC4qamKVk

Note, when rolling the chicken with the ham and cheese dip your fingers in the flour, A LOT more traction, I found it easier. Pain of the whole deal is pounding the chicken.

Much Appreciated,
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Thu Sep 12, 2013 19:14

Hey Fred,

I made this Canadian Bacon with a four pound loin from the pastured pig we recently bought. I was concerned about making it at my mom's house over Labor Day but it was so easy! It cured for two days, sat overnight uncovered in the fridge to dry out, and at room temperature for a half hour while we put packaged pecan wood on one side of her electric grill until we saw smoke. Then the loin went in on the unlit side and the cover went down partway to keep the temp at around 140 degrees.

I smoked it on a rack for an hour and fifteen minutes and turned it halfway through so the smoke had equal time on all sides. Then the roast went into the oven at 250 degrees until it hit 145 IT. Rested under foil to 150 then into the fridge overnight.

Everyone loved it, especially the grandchildren. And we all know that's what really counts!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 19:23

Outstanding! And did those little munchkins help you? :lol: