Canadian Bacon "al la Krakowska"

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 14, 2013 16:52

Fred, lard is rendered hog fat and tallow is rendered beef or sheep fat. I never throw any animal fat away. I always cook with it. Poultry fat is grand for biscuits and pastry.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 16:52

A work of art, my friend! A work of art! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Sat Sep 14, 2013 20:12

Beautiful, Fred!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Sep 14, 2013 21:37

Great job Fred, really sweet! Next batch I'll roll half in freshly cracked pepper to give it a shot. Usually a night or two in the fridge decreases the salty flavor a bit. Chicken Cordon Bleu is on tonights dinner menu. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sun Sep 15, 2013 02:59

Thanks Ray, Let me know how the chicken turns out. Best I ever had if followed the way the guy did in the video. Have a good one, Fred :cool:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Sep 15, 2013 07:54

Krakowska wrote:Thanks Ray, Let me know how the chicken turns out. Best I ever had if followed the way the guy did in the video. Have a good one, Fred :cool:
Thanks for that post, I followed it to a T and was well rewarded, we all were thrilled with the outcome. More later. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Sep 15, 2013 20:40

Man alive, dinner turned out great and was worth the work. It did require getting set up and following all the right steps in the video.

A Grey Goose tini got the frying underway

Once that was all done it was time for 15 minutes in a 350° oven

A little salad and a bottle of chard and dinner was on!

After dinner there was some single-malt and a cigar at the backyard fire pit. Not feeling like the sharpest knife in the drawer when I woke up this morning inspired a monster brekky

That gave me what I needed to get the last load of maters for this year in the dehydrator

Now the plants are pulled and in the garbage can, all my chores are done, and I'm thinking of a Rolling Rock and eight solid hours of sports on TV. There's enough Canadian bacon left over for a ham and pineapple pizza, maybe right about halftime of the Niner game. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 15, 2013 21:52

Ray, I don't understand why you don't weigh 400 pounds. That is a lot of very fine looking food.
:lol:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sun Sep 15, 2013 22:50

Super Ray, Some really good looking settings Ray, Glad You liked the chicken. Is that bacon your own homemade? That's a breakfast fit for a king. Thanks for sharing, Fred :cool:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Sep 16, 2013 00:12

Thank you both! Yep, that's the bacon I smoked about a month back using CW's honey-maple recipe. I sliced it all nice and thick, doesn't curl much at all, and has way way better flavor than anything I ever bought at a grocery store. Just another of the many great aspects of this site, learning how to make better food than store-bought for a lot less money. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 16, 2013 00:59

One day I watched a woman buying chicken breasts, boneless, and skinless for about 4.50 per pound and right next to them was whole chicken for .69/pound.!!?? I asked her if she was aware and she said she didn't like the dark meat. ?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Mon Sep 16, 2013 01:35

Ray, I think the bacon is going to be my next project. Going to try it with a pork butt. Haven't a clue where to get pork bellies down here in Florida and I do not want to buy a 40 lb case. This is the restaurant capital of the world, (Gulf Coast Florida) NOBODY cooks, lol Going up north for a month due to son#2 is getting married and going to help Him move in to a house that they have a bid on. Just waiting for all the paper work to go through. While they are gone (honeymoon) I will take his Brittany out and do some partridge hunting in New York's southern tier near Salamanca and the Pa border. Won't be smoking until I get back down here. Thanks everyone and INDEED, this is one heck of a site, enjoy the comradeship and I learn something every time I spend time here. It is, My favorite site. Chuckwagon, You ARE The Man! :cool: Fred