Ham photos from Gunny

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Ham photos from Gunny

Post by Bubba » Mon Feb 10, 2014 02:53

Hi All,

I'm posting these photos for Gunny, and he will add the description and his questions afterwards.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Ron
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 05:53

Hi Gunny,
No explanations are required. The ham looks great.
You must be proud of what you made. I bet it taste super.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Feb 10, 2014 06:02

Certainly looks very fine to my eyes.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gunny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gunny » Mon Feb 10, 2014 14:22

Hello to All,

I'll first take time to thank BUBBA (aka Ron) for posting these pictures for me. Thanks again, Ron.

I have posted these pictures to ask and seek advice on what may be a bacterial contamination problem. If there is a problem, these photos will hopefully provide others with guidance on what I may have done wrong. Let me first describe my procedure for making the dry cured ham. I followed the formulation on page 376 of Rytek Kutus book: Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing:
3 1/2 LB salt
2 1/4 cup dextrose
1 1/2 cups Insta Cure #2

This formula was applied based on the green weight of the in bone ham. Brine of 100 degrees was injected ( as the injection holes can be seen in the photos ) . Curing was done at 37 - 38 degrees F. for a period of 60 days ( based on the weight of the ham at 20#'s). Dry cure ingredients (total based on 20# weight of ham; therefore, were applied at 3 different times during the curing process. With an overhaul at day 21. Ham was then cold smoked for 3 days. After smoking, the ham was placed in the basement for 9 months at temps 63-70degrees. Humidity was 40 to 55 percent.

My concern was with the cuts as I got further past the shank and towards the pelvic region. Photos 4 and 5 show a yellow substance that was near the bone. Advancing with my cuts, I noticed gray areas in the fat areas shown in photos 1 thru 3. Maybe I'm just being a nervous type here and nothing is wrong. There is no rancid or off smell to the meat, but I thought it would be a good idea to run this past our board of experts. Since I am new to all of this, I also thought this would be a good teaching tool for others.

Any input into things that I may have done right or wrong would be greatly appreciated. If there is a better procedure in making a country ham or dry cured ham, I'm open to suggestions......Thanks for any help.....Jerald
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Feb 10, 2014 14:59

You are welcome Gunny and you'll get some expert support from Forum members for your questions. :)
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Feb 10, 2014 17:40

What is the texture of those yellow particles? They look a bit waxy.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gunny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gunny » Mon Feb 10, 2014 18:13

Hello Ssorllih,

The yellow material is grainy and mushy. No off smells and the rest of the meat cuts very well. Bone seems to be where you have the greatest chance of bacterial contamination, from what I have read. The gray stuff is also a source of concern.
Thanks for any help that you can provide. I am in hope that the pictures will help others. Haven't seen anything like this on any websites.......Jerald
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 09:06

Gunny wrote:
Hello Chuck,
Yesterday I posted, with the help of Bubba, pictures and procedures of a cured ham I had tried. The ham had some discoloration in spots that I was concerned with. If you have the time, could you take a look at the post and pictures and see if there is a cause for concern. There hasn't been any opinions offered as of yet. If there is something wrong it might serve as a good illustration for others of what can go wrong and how to avoid it.
I would appreciate any assistance that can be provided. My email: canine2u@hotmail.com........Thanks, Jerald
Gunny, in Appendix B of his book, Stan wrote: "Dry-curing of ham may or may not destroy staphylococcus aureus, but the high salt content on the exterior inhibits these bacteria. When the ham is sliced, the moister interior will permit staphylococcal multiplication. Thus sliced dry-cured hams must be refrigerated."

Okay pard, so much for bacteria - for now... Next, we must consider mold. It is not bacterial but it is sometimes a dangerous microorganism if it has spores.

Stan continued:
"Mold can often be found on country cured ham. Most are harmless but some molds can produce mycotoxins. Molds grow on hams during the long curing and drying process because the high salt and low temperatures do not inhibit these robust organisms. DO NOT DISCARD the ham. Wash it with hot water and scrub off the mold with a stiff vegetable brush."

Gunny, I would go so far as to cut away any affected meat near the immediate site of the mold, especially any of color. Wash the meat with HOT water and use a brush to clean it. Never sniff any type of mold. :shock: This may cause respiratory problems. Wash away the mold and cut away any affected area. Place the waste in a covered trash can that children and animals can`t open. Clean any area where you placed or kept the ham, including any place you`ve used in the refrigerator. Check nearby items the mold may have touched. Mold spreads quickly in fruits and vegetables.The ham looks great. Get rid of the mold and enjoy the meat. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gunny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gunny » Wed Feb 12, 2014 13:40

Thank you Chuck..............Jerald