Post by Scogar » Wed Jan 27, 2021 18:47

:D Thank you kindly
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Boneless Pork Loin - Kasseler Style

Post by Scogar » Tue Feb 02, 2021 22:16

&^%$#$%$ Weather!!!

So I just got my Kasseler style pork loin in the brine, counted out my 6 days...added the day and a half it needed to hang in the refrigerator and was looking forward to my first adventure in cold smoking for two days. That day begins next Thursday bright and early so I thought I'd look at the extended forecast and here's my weather prediction....mind you the weather is perfect prior to Thursday
Can't a man try a new thing without something trying to throw a wrench in the works? I thought throwing wrenches were what wives were for.
WhiteOaks

Post by WhiteOaks » Sat Mar 06, 2021 00:45

redzed wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 19:41
• 1 whole or half pork loin
• 8% brine with sugar (72g salt and 8g Cure #1, 30g sugar) per litre of water
I’m pretty much a greenhorn with brining/curing whole cuts of meat. I’ve been reading what I can find about brine strengths vs time in brine etc. My question is how much total brine did you use to cure the whole loin. It looks like I will need 4 liters to keep the loin submerged. Will I still need six days?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Mar 07, 2021 20:16

The time is dependent on brine strength and thickness of meat. So if it says six days I'd go with that but it wouldn't hurt to remove it after six days and rinse and let it rest for a couple more days for the salt to equalize. May not need to but this is a good thing to do to keep from getting those pesky coin sized not cured centers in things.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 09, 2021 18:23

Because this is not equilibrium brining, this method is not an exact science. Depending on the loin, 5 days in an 8% brine, then a good rinse and soak in cold water for an hour will also work. You could also pump it with 10% of the weight of the meast and 3 days in the brine after that. 8% brine works for me, but others might add less salt and others work with a 10% brine. And resting in the fridge for a day or two before smoking is definitely good practice.