Boneless Pork Loin - Kasseler Style

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 19:41

A Kasseler pork loin is a versatile and delicious way to serve a traditional meat and potatoes meal. It's an elegant comfort food and can be baked as a roast or cut into chops and grilled or fried. Siced thin and fried with eggs for breakfast is another option. In our house we like it with garlic mashed potatoes and cooked sauerkraut or with a cold sauerkraut salad.

Boneless Kasseler Pork Loin Recipe
• 1 whole or half pork loin
• 8% brine with sugar (72g salt and 8g Cure #1, 30g sugar) per litre of water
Spices (per litre)
• 6g peppercorns
• 6g whole coriander
• 1 bay leaf
• 4g crushed juniper berries
• 1 clove garlic
Process
• To prepare brine add salt, sugar and spices to water, stir occasionally and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, allow to steep, and cool to room temp. remove spices by straining, add Cure #1, making sure it’s dissolved and chill in refrigerator.
• Immerse loin in brine, making sure it’s submerged. Cure in refrigerator for 6 days, turning the loin after 3 days.
• Remove loin from brine, rinse under cold water. Dry with paper towel and leave uncovered in fridge over night. The next day hang in room temp for approximately 3 hours, making sure that the surface is dry. Loin can also be hung in fridge, or in a temperature of 8C or less for 24 hours.
• Cold smoke over 2 days, 8 hours per day. Don’t allow smoking temperature to exceed 26C.
• After a couple days of rest in the fridge, the loin is ready to be prepared in your favourite way.
Guten appetit!
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Re: Boneless Pork Loin - Kasseler Style

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 23:56

This looks great, Red! We have a great german butcher in the town I grew up in who always has Kassler Ripchen made up. My dad and I loved to just eat them cold. Herr Buber passed away a couple of years ago, but his son is carrying on their award-winning traditions. https://www.dittmers.com/smoked-meats

Thanks for the memory, and a kick in the pants to recreate this father/son memory!

R
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 02:17

This looks great. Next time my Local Co OP has loins for $1.99/lb I'll grab a couple for this!
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Mon Jan 11, 2021 03:07

I am starting to plan what to do with the next pig I butcher. This is going to make the list. Beautiful presentation and explanation👌. Opa would have ate the whole thing. :lol:
bcboy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bcboy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 04:31

I'm going to try this week. Red what do you use for your cold smoke and what did you use for wood?
Thanks for posting.
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 23:35

Never seen it without the rib. Brilliant.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jan 12, 2021 19:40

That looks great with the netting pattern!
redzed wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 19:41
In our house we like it with garlic mashed potatoes and cooked sauerkraut or with a cold sauerkraut salad.
Or you could add a cold Beer and German Potato Dumplings, aka Kartoffelklöße!
You can also sous vide it after cold smoking for ready to eat.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 23:00

Bob K wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 19:40
That looks great with the netting pattern!
redzed wrote:
In our house we like it with garlic mashed potatoes and cooked sauerkraut or with a cold sauerkraut salad.
Or better yet hot German potato salad with home smoked bacon and some Schinken!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:04

redzed wrote:
Don’t allow smoking temperature to exceed 26C.
What is your reasoning behind the 26C temp? I'm just curious as the lowest I can do is 100f /38c on my electric smoker and as much as I'd like to get it lower, the product still comes out pretty good.

Thanks for the recipe Redzed, it looks perfect from here.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 15, 2021 09:57

bcboy wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 04:31
Red what do you use for your cold smoke and what did you use for wood?
An Amazen hexagon tube with Traeger Gourmet Blend pellets.
Bob K wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 19:40
fatboyz wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 23:00
Or better yet hot German potato salad with home smoked bacon and some Schinken!
Yes, the possibilities are endless. Now grab a loin or two and make Kasseler!
DanMcG wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:04
What is your reasoning behind the 26C temp?
The warmer the temp the drier the result when smoked over a long period. I smoked my loin for 16 hours at a temp of 12-15C. 26-27C (80F) is the limit for cold smoking, after that it's warm smoke. Fish will start cooking at temps above that and meat will probably at 100F. But I know that lots of guys smoke at 100F and are happy with the results. However there will be a difference in texture and moisture loss between a loin that is cold smoked and one that is warm smoked. For years now I have been hot smoking with a Cabela's Pro 100 smoker, but for cold smoking I use my old Bradley with the cold smoke attachment and the Amazen tube.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30

Thanks for the reply Redzed. I might try to rig up something before the next round of bacon.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Jan 27, 2021 15:33

I did up 2 coppa's in this method. I roasted a piece of one in the oven with sauerkraut, boy it was fantastic. Beautiful texture and such a rich smoke flavor that also flavored the sauerkraut. my wife likes this style better than any other ham we've had.
A definite must do again!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 27, 2021 18:21

fatboyz wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 15:33
I did up 2 coppa's in this method. I roasted a piece of one in the oven with sauerkraut, boy it was fantastic
That's because the collar cut is one of the tastiest parts of the pork carcass. It's got a unique flavour, lots of intra-muscular fat which bastes the neat as it cooks, and is soft and moist. And it can be prepared in so many different ways. :D
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Wed Jan 27, 2021 18:34

Chris, just an hour ago I bought 3 full pork loins, commodity pork unfortunately....but hey $1.12/lb is hard to walk away from. I just pulled all the silver skin off one, cubed it up, and am braising it in a pot of tomatillos and chiles for tacos. But the other two are going to be processed.

Specifically, one is waiting in the refrigerator for this Kasseler. My question is should I pull the silver skin off before I cure it? I am hoping that it won't matter because once cured and smoked I will slice them double thick, pan fry them a bit and then bury in sauerkraut for the oven, remainder vac packed and frozen. What I hope will happen in that case is that the silverskin will "melt" into the kraut and even if not since it is only about 1 inch per chop, it is easily removed at the table.

My concern with removing ahead of time is it seems to hack the loin up a bit more than I would like. Loin1 (the taco meat) had all of its silver skin removed and classed as Class III, and place in the freezer for the next round
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 27, 2021 18:46

Leave the fat and silver skin on. After cooking, whether you roast a piece and slice after, or if you cut into chops and cook, the silver skin will be soft and edible. Its always better to cook any cut of pork with the fat on, and if you don't like to eat it, cut it off after cooking.