My Bologna has a 1st name...

Bentley Meredith
User
User

My Bologna has a 1st name...

Post by Bentley Meredith » Mon Jan 30, 2023 04:55

Tried some Bologna with beef & pork. I love store bought bologna, but not a fan of this. I think impossible to get the emulsion the way it should be without buffalo chopper, and following someone else recipe and not knowing how much fat is in commercial product just to hard to know. Way to little fat in it is my guess! It sucked as a cold cut sandwich, but is really great when fried with cheese and eaten on a sandwich! Smoked at 180° till an IT of 155° with pecan, oak and maple. Almost wish I had forgone smoke and just cooked it sous vide. Definitely a one off for me, I will stick with commercial products for this in the future!

redzed

Re: My Bologna has a 1st name...

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 30, 2023 16:57

Doesn't look too bad. I would use about 25-30% fat. Which recipe and process did you use?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Feb 05, 2023 19:54

Looks pretty decent. Was the texture just off? How much water did you add?
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Sun Feb 05, 2023 20:57

I tried a Len Poli recipe. I am gonna say i may have had 20% fat. I kind of figured that was one issue. I am usually on the heavy side of fat when I make sausages. I think I was a little gun shy having had way to much fat in my 1st few Salami attempts.

Texture was off for me. A bit firm, as stupid as that probably sounds. Not the soft creamy, velvety texture I am looking for in my bologna. Water, probably 1 1/4 cup between the liquid and ice added.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Feb 11, 2023 16:38

It's been my experience that bologna and other homemade luncheon meats tend to be firmer than store bought unless you add phosphates or other binders. They will also be more filling and nutrient dense ..... if that makes sense...... since they aren't packed full of water like the store bought products.

If you want to adjust the texture some you might want to do like you said and up the fat a little and you might want to add some milk powder which should give it a creamier texture. Or, set your bologna out and let it come to room temperature and give it a try. I believe this is how bologna is supposed to be eaten and this will soften the existing fat and bring out the flavors some.

Also, on emulsions, you might want to up the water. I believe you can go up to 20%. I always start with 10% but add more until it gets that look I'm looking for.
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Wed Feb 15, 2023 17:14

Thanks.