Pig tongues & snouts

Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Mon Sep 10, 2012 16:08

Gulyás, the headcheese looks terrific!
That's the way I like it, just like Grandfather used to make.
Godspeed!

Bob
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:55

Hi Rick.

You made me hungry for lots of head cheese, I'll buy some today too. It'll be hungarian with paprika, and I'll make you a picture.
The place I get it from makes it 3 different kind. The one I'll get today is a little hot/sharp, he uses some hot paprika mixed with sweet.

I'm still is on seafood diet, I eat everything I see. :grin:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59

Hi Bob.

I think I'm lucky, because the place I live, lots of German, and lots of Polish people live too, so I can buy these goodies any time.
But next time I'll go to Chicago I'll stop at the big Polish store. And that I plan soon.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 11, 2012 22:29

Head cheese the way your grandfather used to make it . ............................$4.00/ pound
Head cheese they way you remember your grandfather used to make it .......$8.50/pound
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Sep 12, 2012 20:33

Hi Rick.

I got some hungarian head cheese today. This is the "old-time" one, what we used to make at home. It has hungarian paprika in it, some hot one too, some people would call it spicy.
As you can see, large pieces of meat in it, with some small ones for filler.

Joe the sausage lover, who is on seafood diet, who eats everything he sees. :grin: :lol:
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Fri Sep 14, 2012 02:02

That looks great and I like the idea of spicy too!
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Oct 06, 2012 16:51

Gulyas,
I never mentioned how my headcheese turned out, and thought I'd let you know it was GREAT. Many thanks for the help along the way too.

So since headcheese is made from pork snouts and tongues, etc., have you ever considered making a headcheese from beef tongue and heart????

I do enjoy cold beef tongue sandwiches and was wondering why one couldn't make a lunch meat loaf using those components suspended in a gelatin. I think the spices used would have to be more for beef though.

Your thoughts??

Rick
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Oct 06, 2012 21:05

Hi Rick.

Now I'm sorry I deleted the picture, at the time I didn't know it goes away from here too.

I didn't considered making headcheese from beef tongue, because the one I buy is very good.
I'm guessing it wouldn't be more difficult to make then what your making/made if you can find a recipe.

Thanks for letting me know.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sun Oct 07, 2012 00:15

Gulyás,
No problem with not posting a picture. I looked into what it takes to post one, and I guess I have to set up an account with a third party, and move pictures from that website into this one....and....well it seems pretty confusing at the moment. I don't imagine I'll be posting pictures any time soon.