Salceson with lemon

redzed

Salceson with lemon

Post by redzed » Tue Feb 11, 2014 00:17

Made a couple of salcesony yesterday. Had leftover hocks in freezer, bought a set of trotters and threw in a huge beef tongue. Simmered everything for three hours in a broth flavoured with bay leaves, garlic, onion, peppercorns and a tablespoon of Cure 1 for the colour. Deboned everything, separated and chopped about half the skins (my wife does not like to see them), added more garlic, all spice, pinch of cloves and marjoram. For something different I also added the zest and juice of two whole lemons, getting the idea from Jason Molinari's blog. Stuffed into one large beef bung that I cut in two. The salceson is quite good but I should have put more broth into it. I think it would have improved the flavour and had a more moist mouth feel.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:16

Dang, that even looks tasty Chris! Did you get your wife to try it?

Best Wishes,
Chukcwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Thu Feb 13, 2014 19:58

OMG!!! Chris - my floor is all wet with mouth water by now... Have to reach out for my rubber boots!

That is some PREMIUM Salceson by the very looks. But you´re probably right that more broth would add to the mouthfeel.
How much salt do you add pr. kg ?

...no caraway ?? :cry: (weepie)

Did you ever try to add a decent splash of high quality wineager to the broth?
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 18:14

Hey Redzed that looks fantastic. I had been wondering how to apply cure as the next time I make a head cheese I want to use it. Now I know.

You made quite a bit - are you going to try freezing it?

Last time I made some souse I froze most of it before going on a trip, as I am the only one in my family who will eat it. :cry: I had made it with a half head, and - lesson learned - should have tossed in a trotter - it was not quite firm enough for my liking. This semi-firm souse fell apart when I thawed it. Today I'm going to make chili verde out of it, and maybe I won't inform my family where the meat came from. :mrgreen:

Anyway - I am curious as to whether you have had an success with freezing this product.

Jeff
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Feb 15, 2014 18:17

Thanks Igor and CW! The salceson is quite tasty and both are almost gone. My wife really likes the stuff, probably even more than me. She just has a mental thing about pork skins, so I chop them up quite fine and throw them into the mix and she does not even know they are there.

Next time I will stay with the lemon, make sure and add more broth and black pepper (And maybe caraway) :grin:

Igor, the last time I made salceson I did add some ordinary vinegar to it and it did taste good, but your suggestion about something of high quality is a good one. There are several nice vinegars in our pantry that my wife uses in salads, so I will try one or two of them.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:40

Chris, those look interesting. But I'm not so sure I can get past the look. Never cared for dad's headcheese, either. At some point I know I'll need to broaden my horizon!

Jim
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Feb 18, 2014 08:14

Jimbo, you don't know what you are missing! :lol: Both are nearly gone, and they weighed nearly ten pounds!