Chicken Terrine

DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Chicken Terrine

Post by DLFL » Sun Mar 11, 2012 16:15

I boned 10 lbs of leg quarters for some chicken sausage. I made a reduction from the bones, poached 2 breast in it, added two packages of unflavored gelatin, cubed the chicken, and made a terrine. It would of been better to of left the breast as strips and layered them. The cubes tear to easily. Excuse the plating as I used what I had on hand. This has a great chicken flavor!

Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 11, 2012 22:18

Dick, It looks like a nice warm weather meal. Could you elaborate on the reduction?
I usually add carrot, celery, and onion to the water with the bones and of course skim the fat. Would you take it from there, please?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sun Mar 11, 2012 22:25

I must admit, I have never had any type of Terrine but after researching it I think I may be trying it in the near future. Thanks for the nice post!!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 11, 2012 22:32

Keymaster, You know how fine the jellied drippings in the bottom of a roasting pan can taste? Well a good terrine multiplies that taste and the abundance of the jelly.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Mar 11, 2012 23:58

I had not made a terrine since culinary school and wanted to try it again. I covered the bones with water, added two large sprigs of rosemary, one onion, one carrot, celery seed, black pepper corns, tumiric, salt. Brought to a simmer and held there, skimming the foam as it formed so it would not drop back into the liquid. After the meat scraps were falling off the bones I skimmed of the fat. The bones were removed and the liquid was strained through a clean cloth to make it as clear as I could. The breast were poached and the liquid was filtered again. I further reduced this down to about 2 cups of liquid, to this I added the gelatin and cooked at a simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. At this point you have "Aspic". Then a layer about 3/8 thick was poured in the bottom of the dish and allowed to harden. Then a layer of chicken was placed and covered with the liquid, repeating until all was in the dish. After the aspic is hardened you place the dish into hot water so it will release from the dish.

Not everybody's favorite cold dish but it has a ton of flavor. Did you notice the spicy dark caramelized peanuts used as a garnish? Another story with a good result.

I took the time to remove all the meat from the bones and the three dogs got a treat.

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Mar 12, 2012 00:26

Thank you.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Mar 12, 2012 06:48

awesome looking. I love terrines.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30

I would of like to have prettied it up but as this was a last minute endever I did not have what I would of liked to use. A carrot flower or two over the meat would of been nice. Hindsight!
Dick

Never quit learning!