Salceson Śląski

Butterbean

Salceson Śląski

Post by Butterbean » Sat Apr 21, 2018 16:33

Here is my rendition of Salceson Śląski. Made pretty much by recipe only I added some peppers, onions and parsley for color.

Last edited by Butterbean on Sat Apr 21, 2018 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Apr 21, 2018 16:48

Ooh looks good :mrgreen: Sending me to the freezer to see if I have any head cheese left.
This Recipe?
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... e-silesian
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Apr 22, 2018 15:33

Nice job on the salceson BB! And a great pic with the snout poking out of the broth. :lol: This gave me a real appetite for head cheese. I have hocks, feet and beef tongues in the freezer but need to source a head, and that is not easy in these parts. I've come to understand that head meat is essential iin a superior head cheese product. The meat from the head has a unique and delicious flavour. Using it takes the salceson to a much higher level compared to one without it.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 17:21

That looks really tasty! I've made salceson with tongues and hocks only but not with the actual head. There is a butcher shop that sells heads, however I've never worked with one, for the simple reason, that i have no clue.
What do I need to do to prepare a head? remove the eyeballs, brain, clean out the ears/snout? :grin:
Perhaps some experienced "head cookers" out there can give a quick tutorial, with pics if possible, on the process?
JjNUrK
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Apr 25, 2018 21:33

The easiest way to work with the head is to ask the butcher to split the head in two. This makes it much easier to work with. Once split, just put it in a large pot with whatever you'd like to make the stock with. Personally, I prefer to add everything to the pot with Cure 1 and let the head sit in the uncooked stock a day or two before cooking. Once done, simmer the head in the stock til you can poke your finger through the skin then remove the head and allow to cool some. Its much easier to pull the meat from the head when the meat is warm to the touch but not hot. Meat should come right off.

Nothing at all to clean. Just pull the meat from the skull and the meat should pull right off. I leave the eyes in their sockets but take care to pull the muscle right beneath the eye out. A quick nick with the knife and it should pull right out. This meat tastes incredible and has a deep red color. I also do not remove the brain. The most difficult thing - if you can call it difficult - is the removal of the eardrums. You will feel these boney things around ear once this meat is removed. Just feel for them and either pluck or cut to remove them. Nothing to it really and you'll be surprised at how much meat you can get off a head.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Salceson Śląski

Post by Kijek » Wed Apr 25, 2018 22:46

Wow, I would love to eat some of that, nice job!