Polish canned hams

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Polish canned hams

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 31, 2011 22:03

At dinner last night we were discussing food and food quality and I said about this forum and its origins and the strict control that was in place during the years when Poland was exporting canned hams. They were always refrigerated and our guest remarked that as she recalled they were very good.
If I have read the parts about formed hams correctly I think that we can still get the quality that marked those canned imported hams if we can find pigs that were fed a similar diet.
The local Wegman's Supermarket has shoulder butts for sale through the end of the year for 1.29 per pound. I think it may be time for me to try that.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Mon Oct 31, 2011 22:53

Tomorrow enters here on Polish canned hams recipe, only someone will have to translate into English.
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 31, 2011 23:11

Thank you. We have some Polish speaking members.
I am not one. Your English is much better than my Polish.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

A call to the Polish speaking members of the forum.

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 31, 2011 23:14

Maxell has kindly offered to post the recipe for export canned ham as it was when we were all much younger. BUT it will need trnslation.
Please watch for it and help.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Mon Oct 31, 2011 23:27

Probably in English by the beef in its own gravy? Yes, we have this provision, tomorrow I will try to give it to the forum.
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 06:59

Thank you Maxell! It's very nice of you to do this.
To our members: for those of you who do not know who Maxell is... please allow me to introduce Miroslaw Gebarowski, the author of "Polish Sausages" and founder of "Szkola Domowego Masarsiwa" - the school of domestic meat processing - the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
"Mirek" is a tremendous help to this forum and is certainly one of the foremost authorities in the world today regarding sausage making and meat production. Mirek has one of those personalities that makes him a friend to all. He is also a professional fire-fighter in Betchatow.
Both Mirek and Siara (Maciek) have certainly been true friends and a tremendous support to me as fellow moderators. Thanks guys!

My Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D