A small treat of smoke wild salmon

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

A small treat of smoke wild salmon

Post by Devo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 23:03

Picked two small fillets of wild salmon yesterday, price is out of this world. Used Kummok recipe with Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki.

Getting air dried under the kitchen fan for three hours to get a good pellicle/glaze to form.

Two hours of alder smoke, 5 1/2 total time and we have some good looking salmon ;) These where cooked/smoked at 130*F the whole time. I think because of the fan mod I did it cut the time down by a hour or two. And look at that NO BOOGERS :lol:

Recipe:
Excellent BRADLEY Smoked Alaskan Salmon
(A Spin-off from Bob Kitchen`s Incredible Recipe)

Step 1: PREPARE FISH
Filet salmon. Leave skin on. REMOVE ALL BONES (Very important for excellence!)

Step 2: UNIFORM STRIPS
Cut meat into uniform strips, 3/8 to 1/2" wide and 3-6" long, OR as long as your smoker racks can handle......the key here is to get uniform thickness cuts for uniform brining and smoking. The length is important only as far as your own packaging preferences. The strips will have a tendency to fall or sag through the larger grid racks.........I've switched to a small grid (1/2") non-stick coated rack from WWW.ChezBubba.com and now have no problem with meat falling through

Step 3: BRINING
Soak in your own brine recipe for 12 hours at refrigerator temps (I use an Igloo type ice chest with about a gallon of ice thrown in). For more complete brining throughout, place a stainless steel or wooden grate over the top of the meat to hold it under the brine. Stir fish a few times during the brining process. The following brine recipe is included to get you started, but you are encouraged to experiment with your own salt/sugar, maple, honey, peppers, seasonings to develop your own. (My apologies to our metricated friends)
1 gallon cold water
1 quart teriyaki OR soy sauce
1 cup pickling salt
2 Lbs brown sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp cayenne pepper
Step 4: GLAZING
Place fish in a single layer on drying racks and ensure that the pieces DON`T touch each other. Dry in a cool, shady place until a hard pellicle forms. Fish will have a tough, shiny coat and will be slightly tacky to the touch. (Winter time tip! Dry 12-36 hours in a cold place such as an unheated garage, but DON`T allow to freeze) In the summer temps, it can typically take 3-4 hours for the fish to "glaze". A fan can help speed the drying process. DON`T let the fish spoil from warm temps! Turn the fish over 2-3 times during the Glazing process to ensure more complete glazing. It is during the glazing process that you can sprinkle on certain spices (e.g. cayenne pepper) and/or visual enhancers (e.g. parsley flakes).

Step 5: SMOKING
Smoke using the following Bradley Smoking guideline:
100°-120°F for 1-2 hours, then increase to
140° for 2-4 hours, then increase to
175° for 1-2 hours to finish

Use the longer times given for thicker/higher oil content fish. As a general rule, the higher temp you use or the longer you hot smoke, the more the meat cooks the oils out, HOWEVER, the meat becomes dryer/tougher in the process. I've "accidently" left meat (silver salmon) at the 140-150°F range for up to 8 hours and it still turned out great. I personally believe that you'd have to try REAL hard to make a batch of smoke salmon unpalatable by over smoking/cooking. If you get white "boogers" on the meat, you`re cooking too high/too fast.

EAT & ENJOY!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 03:28

VERY well done Devo! Thanks for sharing! We'll put it in the MRI (Member's Recipe Index).
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
dti1501

Post by dti1501 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 05:25

Nice Devo i have around 20 lbs of rainbow i need to smoke for a few guys in the neighbourhood i think i'll give your recipe a try on few pounds.