Smoked Salmon Recipe

laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Sun Aug 05, 2012 05:52

El Ducko - when I immigrated to the US in 1997, I wanted to try a bunch of US favorites that I'd never had before. The Big Green Egg was a big hit, and I still love smoked food. But green bean casserole was - and my wife agrees - the most disgusting thing we'd ever eaten. Why do people eat that?

If anyone tries the gin, it's more noticeable if you don't smoke the fish, and either way it's very subtle. Another good choice would be aqvavit...but that's not something I drink very often, so it's never in the house.
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Aug 06, 2012 14:21

I've been using this recipe for about 35 years. The Beefeaters goes in a glass with a few ice cubes and a squeeze of lemon to be imbibed while the salmon is smoking. Air-dry with fan until proper pellicile is formed, then a nice honey baste right before going into the smoker. 16 lb minimum to qualify for smoking.

Smoked Salmon

1 Cup Kosher Salt
2 Cup Brown Sugar
3 Cups Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce
2 Cups water
2 Tbs Garlic Powder
2 Tbs Onion Powder
2 Tbs Coarse Cracked Pepper
2 cups dry white wine

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 20:37

I am hoping this is just a typo but if its not you have one heck of a salty brine.
2 Cups water
Here is mine

1 gallon cold water
1 quart teriyaki OR soy sauce
1 cup pickling salt
2 Lbs brown sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp cayenne pepper
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Tue Aug 07, 2012 01:39

Ray , I'm jealous of that fish. Wait, that doesn't sound right...I envy you that fish. Better. The first one sounded like I wanted you to hold me. :roll: :lol:
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 06:43

Don't feel badly Laripu! I'm jealous too. If I caught one that big, I'd probably throw my hat and run away! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Aug 07, 2012 07:11

My wife corrected me, 1/2 cup of salt, whole bottle of chardonney.

That was my fish of a lifetime, caught in Half Moon Bay, Ca. off Tennis-Shoe rock near Martin's Beach in 51' of water, mooching 42' down. Used a 8'6" uglystik with 14lb Ironthread and a 12lb mono leader, took 1 hour and 10 minutes to get into the boat. 42 pounds, 42 inches long, July 13, 1996 about 3pm. Other than that the details are kind of hazy. That was back when I was "carpenter-strong", had all I could do to get a 12lb lingcod in my buddys boat last Saturday. Getting old sucks, but's sure beats hell out of not getting any older. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Aug 07, 2012 07:17

In the lat 60s, early 70s my grandfather used to take my dad, brother, cousin and I out of Half Moon Bay on party boats going for rock fish. We would catch 2 and 3 at a time and fill whole gunny sacks up with them. Good times! While I never landed any beautiful salmon like that, your picture with that backdrop of those cliffs reminded me of those days.
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:51

sawhorseray wrote:That was back when I was "carpenter-strong", had all I could do to get a 12lb lingcod in my buddys boat last Saturday. Getting old sucks, but's sure beats hell out of not getting any older. RAY
"Carpenter-strong" - I like the phrase. Doesn't apply to me, though. I'm "software-engineer strong", which means I can hardly get my sorry butt out of a swivel chair. :oops:

My stepson, in Canada, owns a roofing company. Runs up ladders with 80 lb packs of shingles on his shoulder. Oh well, at least he asks me when he has a computer question.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Aug 07, 2012 14:35

Cabonaia wrote:In the lat 60s, early 70s my grandfather used to take my dad, brother, cousin and I out of Half Moon Bay on party boats going for rock fish. We would catch 2 and 3 at a time and fill whole gunny sacks up with them. Good times! While I never landed any beautiful salmon like that, your picture with that backdrop of those cliffs reminded me of those days.
I went on party boats for rocklers way back then, before I had my own boat, the last of which I sold seven months ago. Now it's back to party boats and friends boats, much less work and money from my end. In the early 70's we'd take party boats out of HMB and fill burlap sacks with rocklers that came 2-3 at a time, sacks would weigh 90-100 pounds at the end of the day. Now it's a 10-fish limit and a man needs a degree in marine biology to avoid getting a ticket. I prefer rockfish on the plate far above salmon, lingcod is my favorite of all, followed closely by cabazon.