Using leftovers and trimmings

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Using leftovers and trimmings

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 19, 2012 19:15

Sunday night we had friends over for dinner and I served fresh salmon with tarrigon butter. I bought more fish than I needed so that I could get neat looking portions. the result was some trimmings which I brined , dried and am smoking today. I find the little smoked pieces are just as pleasing as the large fancy body slices. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Using leftovers and trimmings

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Dec 19, 2012 23:37

[quote="ssorllih" I find the little smoked pieces are just as pleasing as the large fancy body slices. Image[/quote]

I agree Ross. I've been smoking salmon for about 35 years, far longer than I've been smoking meat, and I've always cut the fillets into two inch strips. I figure that way both the brine and the smoke achieve better penetration, and the batch will come up to temp in less smoker time. Smoked salmon is so filling that I found shrink-wraping and freezing the individual 2" pieces means nothing ever goes to waste and will keep for a couple of years in my garage freezer. Nice job! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 19, 2012 23:43

The salmon I served for dinner was baked at 450°F for just 12 minutes. This on the grill is cold and is close to 9 hours now and a sample was very pleasing.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 04:59

I always find the smoked belly flap pieces much more enjoyable to eat that the centre cut strips.
More oil in them, better for you with a superior taste.
In our household these strips are gone first.
I always prefer Hot smoked salmon over the cold smoked fish. Better colour and taste anyday.
Regards,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 20, 2012 05:29

Jan try them cold smoked and sliced into a quiche. Make the crust with animal or poultry fat. I am sure that you will make them twice.
Ross- tightwad home cook