Paprykarz Szczecinski\ hot fish salad

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Paprykarz Szczecinski\ hot fish salad

Post by StefanS » Mon Mar 30, 2015 21:45

Culinary hit around Europe, made in Poland, imported to 32 countries in mid '60 to '90. Actually in production by small companies but.... is not same as before.
Thanks for our members from WD polish site for restore practically original recipe.
During my last week freezer inventory I have found some frozen fish so its let me made that kind of salad/paste for myself and my friends.
I have used recipe posted by BonAir, then with MariuszB polished it to outstanding taste.
I have made some small modification because some ingredients I've used are little different (vinegar in USA is 5% acidity, also hot chili - I used red hot pepper 55K.)
Frozen fish - tuna - 1200 g (after thawing)
Smoked mackerel - 350 g kg(skinless, boneless)
water - 1 quart
rice - 600 g
onion - 1000g
tomato puree - 822 g
vegetable oil - 250 ml.

spices:
salt - 100 g
sugar - 15 g
Hungarian red pepper - 25 g
Soya sauce - 30 ml
vinegar(5%) - 75 ml
hot red pepper (55K) - 10 g
black ground pepper - 4 g

Process of preparation:
rice boiled in water, let it cool dawn( rice should be a little tender, not cooked to soft stage)
Clean fish meat (boneless, skinless) grind by plate 6 mm.
Heat oil on frying pan and add chopped onion. Fry onion to point it be glossy. Lower a heat and add spices, vinegar, soya sauce. Keep it and mix it until sauce start boiling. At that point I mix hot sauce with fish( fish is raw ). After letting that mix cool dawn I've again grinded it by plate 6mm then I've added a rice and mix it well.
At that moment you can taste it.
Fill up you jars - I have used a 12 oz. Ball jars. Then I 've scalding(pasteuzation) jars in boiling water for 45 min. Let it cool dawn overnight(jars stayed with water). Next morning again heated it to boiling and let them stay for 30 min. Cool dawn. Paprykarz is ready to eat.
Enjoy.
ImageImage
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 31, 2015 08:10

Thanks for that recipe Stefan. My mother used to make something similar many years ago. But then I was a kid and did not like fish very much! Now I could eat fish every day! Once I finish the rest of last years salmon that is still in the freezer, I will have to make that paprykarz. I see tuna in stores but not sure about mackerel. Can it be substituted with another fish?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 13:09

Redzed it is taste from my past, I used to eat it very often when I"ve been student and lived in dorm. As you saw in my post - I 've made a inventory in my freezer so I used what I had. Last year I made some experimental smoking of example -bluefish, sea bass, fluke or porgy then leftovers used to make Paprykarz. (with addition of mostly fresh fish). It was also very good, but that last set of fish and proportion of frozen to smoked in my opinion is very good. So you can use practically any fish to make Paprykazr.