smoked garlic

unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

smoked garlic

Post by unclebuck » Sat Apr 09, 2011 13:08

I had a "brain fart" a several months ago, deciding to throw some garlic in the smoker and giving it a try.

Separate & peel several heads of garlic.
Spread out on smoker racks, put in smoker and cold smoke them for a minimum of 4 hrs for starters. Your next batch might need more or less depending on your personal tastes.

You can also hot smoke it for use as a spread on your bread to accompany any repast. Versatility is the key here. Only your imagination will limit use!!!!

Put whatever number of cloves that you wish into bags and vac seal them, and hide them from yourself for as long as you can resist the urge, for the smoke flavour to permeate the cloves. I managed to get a week and a half before I could no longer resist the urge to try it. Boy did they get a lickin' in short order!!! I did, however, find that the longer it stayed sealed up, the more mellow the flavour. I used a combination of maple and cherry, but I think that any wood would make a satisfactory product, depending on your individual preference.

It adds a subtle new dimension to your everday "cheffing".

What used to be the odour of "uncultured" Eastern European immigrants(according to the Brits)is now the standard for "haute" cuisine!!!

BEWARE - SMOKED GARLIC IS ADDICTIVE!!!!!! Trust me, as I may have to charter a chapter of SGUA(smoked garlic users anonymous).
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 19:09

Great idea unclebuck, I'm going to try it the next time I fire up the smoker, we love our garlic :mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 08:09

Hey Buck,
Count me in as member #3 in the SGUA! In fact, I'm voting for you for president next year in our national election. Yeah! Unclebuck for president! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Re: smoked garlic

Post by steelchef » Sun Apr 10, 2011 19:13

unclebuck wrote:I had a "brain fart"
BEWARE - SMOKED GARLIC IS ADDICTIVE!!!!!! Trust me, as I may have to charter a chapter of SGUA(smoked garlic users anonymous).
Hilarious Buck :!: I have smoked about everything there is but for some reason, never thought of fresh garlic. What a wonderful idea. We love to do pickled garlic and it goes pretty fast. Now you have me wondering what pickled, smoked garlic would be like. I'll be letting you know. :grin:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Sun Apr 10, 2011 20:23

Sweet, pickled, smoked garlic cannot be beaten with a stick. It beats the snot out of pickled fresh garlic by an Alberta "bush mile"!!!!! The "war department" does it up all of the time now. Her family are Brit and had an aversion to both the taste & smell of garlic until I showed her how to use it. Now 38 years later, the girl seems to have a problem. She will become a charter member of the SGUA!!!
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 20:48

Now you guys are making me build that cold smoke generater even faster just so this old Pollock can make him some Smoke Garlic and then add it to my Polish Kielbasa for some added smokey glarlic flavor.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Apr 10, 2011 21:21

You've created a monster;

The better half is already off to the warehouse to buy a big bunch of garlic and it looks like I`m going to be putting the Little Chief into service. I cut it down to use in the motorhome, hope it will bear the load she is going to come back with. Better sign us up for the SGUA too. (It`s only 6C - 42F outside so if you don`t hear from me, I succumbed to the cold.) :sad:
It occurred to me that it might be a good time to remind or advise some of the new folks about some other non-meat delights that can be smoked.
We regularly smoke table salt, sweet paprika, (huge cost saving from store bought) onion flakes, sliced tomatoes, (these are dried to a leather in the smoker then sealed and frozen for addition to chilli`s and stews) halved hard boiled eggs, (fantastic in potato salad) chili powder, dry beans, rice, nuts, hard cheeses, (cheddar and Monterey jack in particular) etc, etc. We`ve even smoked blueberries and raspberries, great in salads. :grin:
It would be great to hear from anyone else who has a special ingredient that they like to smoke.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Apr 10, 2011 21:28

jbk101 wrote:Now you guys are making me build that cold smoke generater even faster just so this old Pollock can make him some Smoke Garlic and then add it to my Polish Kielbasa for some added smokey glarlic flavor.
That sounds like a great plan JBK! I think we may have a PART ll now. Unclebuck says to smoke the garlic, vac pak it for a month - then pickle it. I use a pickled egg brine, others may want to chime in on that subject. Gotta run, the rest of the day looks busy.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Sun Apr 10, 2011 21:29

Smoked pickled eggs, pickled smoked garlic, smoked old cheddar, along with a few beers & onion crackers make more than an excellent snack while watching hockey. It lends new meaning to the "Dutch Oven" :mrgreen: ,especially when the blankets rise like a hot air balloon and you have pulled them over the woman's head while she sleeps. Do you know what reaction and forward action is? Try it, this the new definition to the words "How fast are you?"
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 11, 2011 01:06

No smoked and dried chilies?
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 23:03

My son has done both jalepenos and habaneras from which he claims excellent results. Neither my wife nor myself have a particular taste for that hot stuff, so I am unable to comment on whether it is either good or $hitty.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Apr 13, 2011 00:35

Habaneroes are much too hot for my taste but Jalepenos are mild by the standards of chilies.
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 00:49

I should have elaborated some, as my son stuffs the seeded jalapenos with cream cheese & crab and smoke cooks them as a condiment. He dehydrates both jalapenos and habernos and smokes them with pecan. Roma tomatoes, quartered & seeded get the same treatment. That I can handle, as after dehydration and smoke, I pack them in EVOO for future use. Excellent addition to any marinara sauce!!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 01:22

Hi guys,
In the southwest, folks have traditionally smoked jalapenos with harsh ol' mesquite wood. The seeds and veins are removed for sissies like me, before they are "put up" in olive oil (EV). They are called "chipoltles" and are great for all sorts of side dishes. Their flavor can really pick up an otherwise ordinary recipe. My cousin, "Crazy Iron Mike", leaves the seeds and veins in. :roll: He's the wrangler who taught "B.D. Horseshoe Bendin' Kelley" how to smoke Scotch Bonnets (Habaneros). Oh yes, what does the B.D. stand for? Brain Damage! Yup, Brain Damage Kelley. :shock:
Oh yes, are you curious about the "horseshoe bendin'" tag? It was his breath. If he exhaled on a tempered steel horshoe, it would wilt like a shamed evangelist!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Wed Apr 13, 2011 02:55

Unclebuck and I went to different schools together. Yet we both learned to be vewy, vewy careful of chilis. :grin:

If any of you have not heard of my experiences read the last post here.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4997