Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage

Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:53

Yesterday I pulled out my Mom's grandma's recipe book from Hungary (I have a multitude of recipes that go back several generations) One of my favorites growing up was when my polish grandma (Dad's mom) made golumpki (stuffed cabbage). I'm guessing the recipes are similar. They were delicious indeed and the memories :lol:

Sorry, no pictures...the Hungarian recipe:

3/4 lb pork
3/4 lb veal
3/4 lb rice
1 large onion
3 Tbs shortening
1 no. 2 can tomato sauce
1/2 pint sour cream
1 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs salt
1 tsp pepper
1 head cabbage

Place head of cabbage in boiling water. Using fork, remove leaves as they are wilted (I substituted fresh Swiss Chard from the garden and wilted that in boiling water)

Saute onions in shortening until brown. Add to meat ( I used ground venison with 1/4 lb ground pork fat), rice and spices and mix well. Place a tablespoon full (I made mine about the size of two meatballs) in the center of the cabbage leaf and fold into packet. Arrange in bottom of heavy pot. Fill pot 2/3 full with water. Add tomato juice. Cover and cook on slow heat until rice is tender. About 1 1/2 hours. (I cooked in over at 350 for 1 1/2 hours and dropped the temp to 300 F for 1/2 hour.) When done, place sour cream on top and cook for 5 minutes more.

Wow, delicious and leftovers tomorrow :mrgreen:

Off topic...one of the recipes I have yet to try, but maybe some day...Veal heart and lung soup :shock:
Last edited by Dave Zac on Mon Jan 25, 2016 04:34, edited 2 times in total.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 22:38

Dave Zac
That sounds really delicious; I`m going to give this one a try, one of these weekends. Thanks..

Chow
Uwanna
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 01:24

Hey Dave, if you are half Polish and half Hungarian, does that make you Polgarian or Hungapole? :roll: Hmmm... I`m half Swiss and half English (they say "limey") so, I just figure I`m a "slimey". :mrgreen: Teasing aside, your recipe looks incredible and I`m going to try it THIS weekend! Oh, and yes... I`m still voting for you for president in `12! :wink:
Thanks for sharin' Dave.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue Aug 09, 2011 02:54

Hi Dave,

The recipe for Golumpki sounds outstanding, I've made something similar a while back but using Lamb and Chicken with all the other spices.

Cooked it outside in this shnazzzzy cast iron pot, similar to a Dutch Oven.

If Maz sees this posting he will say "Ha! we call that a Potjie!" ......that's because it is called a "Potjie" in South Africa.

This one I bought in Atlanta. I cooked my Cabbage roll-ups in one of those, topped with cream and yogurt before serving.

Ron
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Wed Aug 10, 2011 00:21

Forgot one important ingredient.

One small call sauerkraut. Arrange sauerkraut on top of golumpkies before covering in tomato sauce.

Hungarian name of this dish is Toltott kaposzta
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 04:02

Hey Bubba,
I've read about and heard of the South African "Potjie". I've never known anyone who had one. The state I live in sells more Dutch Ovens and Jello than any other state - our claim to fame! :lol: It's not uncommon to see many folks owning six or eight Dutch ovens (cast iron outdoor type "camping" oven with legs). I owned about 20 of them but cracked one, and lent two that "walked away". I was raised in one of those things. We cooked everything in them and still do every chance I get. In my youth, I'd fix dinner in one during the morning and bury it with a few hot coals on the top and bottom. I'd mark the spot and find it six or eight hours later when I came back to camp with a deer draped over the saddle and eight fish in the creel. Life doesn't get any better than that! By the way, I believe that your South African Potjie is where Paul Revere originally came up with the idea of the Dutch oven, but he had to have a lipped-lid to hold hot coals on top (bakes bread evenly). On the ranch we also used the three other cast iron cookin' mediums - the grill, griddle, and black skillet. Thanks for sharing Bubba.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:15

Hi Dave.

Stuffed cabbage is also one of my favorite.
One of the best time to make stuffed cabbage is, when you're making Hungarian sausage.
When all done mixing the meat, take out some, and all you add is half-cooked rice, and one egg to hold it together.
Also add some smoked meat, such as smoked pork butt, or ribs, I hate to say it but the fatter the better. We used to start with a layer of sauerkraut, add smoked meat, add everything else, and finish it with a layer of sauerkraut.
For good taste, you can add (boneless) smoked meat, grind it together with fresh meat. About 20 %.

Because you have no picture, I link it in for you. The one on the picture was made with smoked ribs.

http://receptvilag.gportal.hu/gindex.php?pg=34797532
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Aug 27, 2012 21:41

Man, you guys are hitting some nerves. Nothing like ribs, kraut, celery, onions, potatoes, carrots-whatever else you want, slow cooked. That's why I like the cold weather. A/C doesn't take a beating.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 04:36

Gulyas, that site is really interesting and I "translated" it to English using my computer. The stuffed cabbage recipe looks amazing. I was also interested in the Lepények - Húsos tekercsek - the rolled meat pie. Wow, you Hungarians really know how to cook! Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue Aug 28, 2012 04:41

You're very welcome Mr. C.W.

I'm happy if I can help anything.

Joe.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 07:01

The only trouble I can see with Hungarian food is the quantities I have devoured over the years, now that I am more mature, I have to limit my intake of all these fantastic European foods.
And that's something!!!!!! coming from a ful-lblooded Dutchman.
Regards,
Jan.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23

Hi Jan.

Try to keep in mind, that no matter how much you eat, in a week or so you'll get hungry again. :grin: