The many ways to use sausage. (Rouldade)

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

The many ways to use sausage. (Rouldade)

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 01, 2011 01:49

Roulade

Sliced beef roulade stuffed with carrots and cucumber
The word roulade originates from the French word "rouler" meaning "to roll".[1] Typically, a roulade is a European dish consisting of a slice of meat rolled around a filling, such as cheese, vegetables, or other meats. A roulade, like a braised dish, is often browned then covered with wine or stock and cooked. Such a roulade is commonly secured with a toothpick or metal skewer, piece of string or spinach.[2] The roulade is then sliced into rounds and served. Of this common form, there are several notable dishes:
Braciole, Italian roulade consisting of beef, pork or chicken usually filled with Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and eggs
Paupiette, French veal roulade filled with vegetables, fruits or sweetmeats
Rouladen, German and Hungarian beef roulade filled with onions, bacon and pickles.
Španělské ptáčky (Spanish birds) are roulade in the Czech cuisine The recipe is practically identical with German Rouladen, perhaps omitting wine and adding a wedge of hard boiled egg and/or frankfurter to the filling. Unlike the large roulade, sliced before serving, the "birds" are typically 10 cm long, served whole with a side dish of rice or Czech style bread dumplings.
In Hungary the dish is known as Szüz tekercsek (so called Virgin rouladen), filled with minced meat.
In Poland the dish is called "zrazy".
Kohlrouladen, German cabbage roulade filled with minced meat.

A common form of roulade consists of a souffle-type mixture baked in a flat pan rolled around a filling. Appropriate to the meaning of the word however, a roulade may refer to any such "rolled" dish, such as sushi, and is not limited strictly to the European dishes.

I didn't know any of this until a guest we had congradulated us for the roulade I had served for dinner. I didn't know that it had a proper name. I just thought that stuffed cabbage or peppers or in this case a piece of turkey was just a nice way to fix a special meal for friends. I guess that "pigs-in-blankets" qualify in this catagory.
Last edited by ssorllih on Thu Sep 01, 2011 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 01, 2011 13:13

The souffle type mixture cooked in a flat pan is commonly called a crepe but burritos may also fit this method.
I posted a picture of a turkey breast stuffed with leg meat sausage. I sliced the breast in a manner that allowed me to spread it like an accordian fold and hammer it flat and ground the leg meat and seasned it for a savory not too hot sausage. Others have posted about wrapping steamed cabbage leaves around savory ground meat filling and your J.W.Powell goat dinner is not too much of a stretch to be included. In the Philippines at lunch time the street venders would sell steamed bread pockets with a mixed filling.
Last edited by ssorllih on Thu Sep 01, 2011 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Sep 01, 2011 14:09

I've made the Deutsch-version "Rouladen" several times with decent results.
Very rich, hearty meal but quite tasty on a cool, winter eve accompanied by some tangy red cabbage, nice dark bread & good dark beer. I'm not much of a pickle fan (dill is an herb I shy away from), but they seem to work well in this recipe.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:36

Hey all
When I was a kid my mother who is German, also used to make "Rouladen" with a strip of bacon and a baby dill pickle wrapped inside of the thinly slice meat. Then she made brown gravy with the drippings and served it with real German potato dumplings. We kids loved this stuff!
tacklebox
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tacklebox » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:02

In the world of low and slow BBQ, we do something quite similar with sausage-they are called 'fatties'. Now we may have to rename them :wink: We secure the fillings with bacon instead of skewers :cool: Here are a couple I have done in the past.

Italian Antipasto Fattie

Spinach, Feta, Mozzerella, Ham, Roasted Red Pepper

Bacon Weave
~Joe~

I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I love playing with my sausage!
Nie mam pojęcia co robię, ale uwielbiam bawić się z moimi kiełbasy!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 21, 2011 15:40

Presentation is almost everything. Those are beautiful.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Sep 21, 2011 16:15

That bacon weave looks awesome!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 12, 2011 20:27

Today I needed some sausage for some veggie soup and I had some sausage that needed a purpose. So I bought a cabbage. Image
And I removed the outer leaves. Image I cut out the midribs and chopped those for the soup and steamed the leaves. When they were cool I cut the halves in two and rolled he sausage. Image
And here will be supper. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Nov 13, 2011 02:27

Ross, either the sausage has been previously frozen or it is already February at your house! :lol:
That is a great way to make dinner. Do you steam the rolls to bring them up to table temperature or do I have to bring an ice pick to your house for supper? Ummm... now all you need is some kind of dipping sauce like the Thai folks use. Looks good ol' pard!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 13, 2011 02:34

sausage was frozen and I heated it in red pasta sauce. will have to try a dipping sauce sometime.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 13, 2011 03:57

It is kinda late in the season this year but does anyone know how to prepare grape leaves for stuffing with Greek sausage? This sausage that I used today was loukanika. Pork and lamb blend.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Nov 14, 2011 02:23

Sorry I can't help with advice to prepare grape leaves, Ross.

Your cabbage rolls look very delicious, they are good in many ways. I've made some before in a Dutch oven with a thick sauce.
Do you use 2/3 lamb to 1/3 pork in your Loukanika?
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 14, 2011 03:30

This mix was 50:50 the grocery had a package of ground lamb for 2 bucks a pound so what could I do.
I still have about a half dozen pieces that are uncased and frozen. Tonight for appitizers I sliced a couple of them into quarter inch medallions and put them on swiss cheese on crackers under a broiler to cook the sausage and melt the cheese. The taste is grand.
Ross- tightwad home cook