Experiment!!!!

unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Experiment!!!!

Post by unclebuck » Thu Sep 08, 2011 18:44

We have a surfeit of cabbage this year, huge, and I mean HUGE heads, the size of a bull bison's head(without horns). As usual, I have a bunch of sauerkraut happening, as well as cabbage leaves fermenting. Both the "war department" and I have thought of stuffing some of the fermented leaves with our sausage blend and smoking them. Has anyone tried this, or am I blowing hot air up a dead horses's patoot, expecting it to get up and win the Canadian Derby? Any and all opinions are appreciated.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 08, 2011 23:31

I like sauerkraut and I like stuffed cabbage so whole leaf sauerkraut would be alright but if it tasted like like the stove caught fire I don't know. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Fri Sep 09, 2011 21:41

I guess that one could call them smoked cabbage rolls. FANTASTIC. Made them for supper last night with pierogies and some Saskatchewan liquid barley to accompany them. The "War Department" has insisted that we do it again!!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 01:50

Unclebuck,
Please let us have some info please. I rather like cabbage rolls but this smoking business got me intrigued. There again, if your wife wants you to make some more, they must be OK.
I made some smoked csabai sausage some time back and I think this meatmixture would be rather nice as a filling in cabbage rolls as well.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Tue Sep 13, 2011 16:50

Have you given any thought to kimchee? That would be a good way to use up some of the cabbage.