Flavorings

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Flavorings

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 12, 2011 02:40

I have been browsing cyber space and looked up coriander culture and that took me to this web site that I think all of us will find interesting. http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/savo ... herbs.html
Ross- tightwad home cook
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 03:23

Very cool resource....packs a lot of information in a 'nutshell'.

~Martin
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Oct 12, 2011 13:53

Very interesting link Ross, thank you!

I will read thoroughly this weekend.
Ron
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 00:02

A friend of mine, whom I went to school with, is the CEO of the largest mustard seed buyer and exporter in Saskatchewan. I have 5 lbs each of yellow, brown, & oriental mustard seed coming my way, freight prepaid!!! We have been making our own mustard from various recipes for many years. You cannot "beat the end product with a stick". It is far superior to what can be bought out of any store, including specialty shops.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Oct 16, 2011 01:19

Save some of that seed for sausage. There are several recipes that call for mustard seed. It would be interesting to know if the different seeds created different sausage flavors.
The other day I picked a handful of sage and dried it. Freshly dried rubbed sage is pungent beyond all expectations compared to the store bought variety.
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 14:50

My father would roll over in his grave if I did not use mustard in sausage!! He was one of the first farmers in Western Canada grow it, so we always had an abundance of it to be used in so many different ways. My mother even used to pickle it to be used as a condiment!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."