Khiromeri

story28
Passionate
Passionate

Khiromeri

Post by story28 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 14:34

Has anyone ever heard of khiromeri? I have been trying to do some research on it, but I haven't had much luck finding information.
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 17:40

The hiromeri looks similar. Khiromeri translates to "side of the pig" in Cypriot, although the preparation comes from the leg. The little information I found on hiromeri seems to be the same process though. I am sure there is some difference. I'll keep searching.
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 18:13

You've got me.....khiromeri, hiromeri, chiromeri or sometimes choiromeri is the Greek word for ham χοιρομερι.

Type khiromeri into Google's Greek search engine http://www.google.gr/ and you'll surely get χοιρομερι (ham).

Please let us know what you find out.

~Martin
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 27, 2011 18:46

Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 05:04

Talk about an early christmas! Thanks Ross. That is the exact scientific mumbo jumbo I like to read. Have you used the Wiley library before? I registered to view the document and it said it was $30 to have access to it for one day :?:. I don't mind spending the money if I can print it out, but it also showed the website not being secure on my search bar. I didn't want to give credit card information without asking first. What do you think?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 06:35

Jason,
I had the same problem with Wiley in the past. It is not exactly a "user friendly" website eh?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:55

Sounds kinda risky to me. Contact by tetephone landline?
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 13:59

I agree with you guys. I will give them a call like you mentioned Ross. I'll let you know what comes of it.
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 18:14

Have you seen this? A brief outline of how it's made....

Hiromeri
Ingredients
Pork Leg, red dry wine and salt.
Preparation
Prepared exclusively in a traditional way using a recipe that has been used successfully for 44 years. The pork leg is carefully cleaned from excess fat and veins then salted and soaked in red dry village wine. After an interchanging period of soaking, draining and pressing it is left to cook in the smoking rooms `Kapnistiri` for a period of more than 2 months. The Hiromeri - Smoked Ham, is the Cypriot`s best delicacy. It is dry in texture, salty and very aromatic. It is a lean meat with low fat and no carbohydrates. Hiromeri is very good for low carbohydrate and low fat diets. It can be served chilled in slices, or as cubes that make it an excellent snack to accompany your zivania, ouzo, beer, wine or whiskey. It`s also very delicious in sandwiches or as a starter. It is packed in a thermoforming package to secure its high quality, taste and most importantly, its sanitation.
The whole procedure takes more than 4 months of production and maturation. (The product should be kept refrigerated between 2C° - 4C°)

http://www.madaricyprus.com/english/pdetails.php?id=1

~Martin
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 21:48

There is a nice set of books called Culinaria. They might not be the most advanced in recipes and procedures, but they do a good job explaining the culture behind the food. Culinaria: Greece is where I found the excerpt on Khiromeri. I found that link you posted and the two look similar. Culinaria explains more of the wine treatment and the heritage and tradition behind this process. It even has a few pictures. But, there are a few variables that the book doesn't cover, but then again, what book does?