Ross' Turkey Photo Essay

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 29, 2011 04:42

I would certainly go to the store management and read therm the riot act. And quite posibly call in the local heath inspector.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Sat Oct 29, 2011 05:28

She's going to complain the the USDA and store management as soon as she gets the pictures back from development.
I have about as much respect for government agencies as I do the devil. we'll see what happens.

~Martin
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:49

Interesting reading on water addition! I would certainly complain.

It's one of the reasons I always buy at the same supermarket here, because I know what I buy is good.
Ron
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Oct 29, 2011 15:26

DiggingDogFarm wrote:
ssorllih wrote:Martin, You have to read the labels carefully when you shop the super markets. A lot of meat gets pumped full of water but the processors must state this on the label.
I saw a package of Hillshire brand cocktail sausages yesterday 6.99 for 28 ounces vacuum packed and swimming in water.
Yes, it's true, the law requires that enhanced meats and meats with retained water be labeled accordingly....but it doesn't always happen.
I don't know how they get away with it, but they do.

My neighbor showed me some chicken leg quarters that she recently bought.
There was nearly 2 cups of water in the bottom of the ten pound bag of quarters, but that's not the real bad part.

She cut the quarters up, added salt and pepper, and baked the at 325 degrees until they tested done.
They were literally swimming in water!!!! I've never seen anything like it!!

I scanned the bag real good, there's absolutely NO mention of retained water!!!!

Very strange! Very disgusting!!

~Martin
We just butchered and put 20 meat birds in the freezer last weekend. This is exactly the reason why. 6 turkeys in a few weeks. We are lucky folks indeed to be able to do this. I would never, ever buy broken down poultry parts from a grocery store. If you gotta buy, buy the birds whole and butcher it yourself. The chance of contamination is much lower.