Ross' Turkey Photo Essay

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jul 30, 2011 04:48

Here is a link to a photo essay on cutting a turkey. http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... ew0009.jpg

This first photo is the result.
And this photo is what I started with. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Jul 30, 2011 13:32

The liver and gizzard is already in the pasta sauce? And the carcass must be stewing on the stove for homemade stock Ross?
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Jul 30, 2011 14:28

ssorllih wrote:I said that i had smoked some turkey for my lunch this week and this morning I took the time from my busy schedule to snap a picture.
One of those photos where even just looking at those cuts they taste delicious!
No doubt your lunch was a feast, ssorllih.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jul 30, 2011 20:25

Dave Zac wrote:The liver and gizzard is already in the pasta sauce? And the carcass must be stewing on the stove for homemade stock Ross?
They never get treated the same. Today the giblets are designated for grinding. sometimes they get fried and eaten on crackers. And years ago my cat would steal them.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jul 30, 2011 20:51

Today I broke down another turkey as in the picture on the previous page. The bones are in the stock pot and the following pictures are of the method for treating the meat.
This is the inside and outside view of the legs with the sinews showing as silver skin with the tendons at the ankle joint.
If you have ever suffered a torn muscle this is the worst it can get.
All of the tendons removed and the meat. The bone and tendons to the stock pot.
The breast meat as it comes from the carcass sImagehowing the tendon to the wing.
tendon removed and the meat ready to use or freeze.
The fat and meat trimming to be used for sausage. Image
I roll them tight and freeze them and then I can slice and dice them while they are soft frozen.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 31, 2011 00:38

Ross, that's amazing the way you prepared and deboned the Turkey!

I have one more question :smile: , would all the Turkey cuts be suitable for brining and smoking when it has been deboned like this?

@ Chuckwagon, :lol: can I change my name to "abbub" or better even "ɐqqnq"? I can try deboning a Turkey upside down
:mrgreen:
See, like this:-

uʍop ǝpısdn ʎǝʞɹnʇ ɐ ƃuıuoqǝp ʎɹʇ uɐɔ ı
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 31, 2011 01:16

Yes all of the pieces are brinable and smokable. I have gotten a few pieces very salty. Use an 18 degree brine and about four hours per inch thickness to start. Check the links her to determine salt and cure amounts. I don't feel competant to quote them. I have to go to the books each time.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 05:35

abbub... Yes, yes... rongway has spelled ssorllih backward (Ross Hill) for so long... we can now actually type it without lookin' up the spellin' of his dad-gummed tag! After all "ssorllih" is a little disconcernin' to remember! I'd just rather call the ol' dude "rongway".
Oh sure, then you come along and spell not only bubba backward, but UPSIDE DOWN... You are now really confusin' and "absquantulatin' " this ol' cowpokes equallibrium... Now, when I see ssorlih and abbub together, it registers as &4*#$5@!&*#. :shock:
Have you got any suggestions?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 31, 2011 13:53

Chuckwagon wrote:Have you got any suggestions?
abbuB could ride a horse backwards! :lol:
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 31, 2011 17:05

abbuB would that way be able to know where he had been.

Ssorllih came into being because I refused to become "Ross 124" as was suggested on one forum.
I guess I could have become Ossray Illhay . ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 25, 2011 00:35

With thanksgiving day only about a month away the price of turkey will become very attractive.
I always watch for opportunity to buy turkey at fire sale prices and often get the chance. I generally bone them out and freeze the pieces. Then I cook the skeleton and pick the rest of the meat and make soup base with the stock and meat. I just put some pork bones into some brine to eventually be smoked and then made into soup. Has anyone brined a turkey carcase and then smoked it before cooking it for stock?
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 02:13

Has anyone brined a turkey carcase and then smoked it before cooking it for stock?
Ross
your too funny :grin:
I can just see it, some would open the door to the smoker and say, dude where`s the bird?
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 05:40

ssorllih wrote:With thanksgiving day only about a month away the price of turkey will become very attractive.
I always watch for opportunity to buy turkey at fire sale prices and often get the chance. I generally bone them out and freeze the pieces. Then I cook the skeleton and pick the rest of the meat and make soup base with the stock and meat. I just put some pork bones into some brine to eventually be smoked and then made into soup. Has anyone brined a turkey carcase and then smoked it before cooking it for stock?
I use the bones of smoked turkey for stock, but I've never put extra effort in to curing and smoking just bones for stock.

I'm extremely frugal, but not cheap. I must have real food, good food, at a reasonable price (preferably home raised).
I don't buy the water-logged turkeys at the grocery store, only the real deal for me. To each his own, it's just personal preference.

~Martin
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 26, 2011 13:03

Martin, You have to read the labels carefully when you shop the super markets. A lot of meat gets pumped full of water but the processors must state this on the label.
I saw a package of Hillshire brand cocktail sausages yesterday 6.99 for 28 ounces vacuum packed and swimming in water.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Sat Oct 29, 2011 03:51

ssorllih wrote:Martin, You have to read the labels carefully when you shop the super markets. A lot of meat gets pumped full of water but the processors must state this on the label.
I saw a package of Hillshire brand cocktail sausages yesterday 6.99 for 28 ounces vacuum packed and swimming in water.
Yes, it's true, the law requires that enhanced meats and meats with retained water be labeled accordingly....but it doesn't always happen.
I don't know how they get away with it, but they do.

My neighbor showed me some chicken leg quarters that she recently bought.
There was nearly 2 cups of water in the bottom of the ten pound bag of quarters, but that's not the real bad part.

She cut the quarters up, added salt and pepper, and baked the at 325 degrees until they tested done.
They were literally swimming in water!!!! I've never seen anything like it!!

I scanned the bag real good, there's absolutely NO mention of retained water!!!!

Very strange! Very disgusting!!

~Martin