Soup is good

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Soup is good

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 29, 2011 18:49

I always try to make good use of any bones that i get. Yesterday i bought ten pounds of beef short ribs from the bargain bin at the grocey. I roasted them with carrots,celery and onions and cut the meat from the bones for stew and cook the rest for stock.
This stock will make wonderful veggie soup.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Nov 30, 2011 02:34

Man I love beef and noodles from canned meat!!!! Cold here tonight and vegetable soup sounds good.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Nov 30, 2011 03:01

Beef short rib is a very tasty cut, I use them to make a mean stew in a Dutch Oven. Only problem is here they are never in the bargain bin, somewhat expensive but I still buy them. :)

I have some "use-or-loose" vacation days to burn up before year end, been saving pork bones for smoking and they'll be used for soup as well. My favorite soup is Ham and Pea.
During my vacation days I have plans for smoking the bones and making more sausage.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Nov 30, 2011 03:53

Bubba when I make split pea soup I add carrots, celery and onions. Not much, just enough for flavor also bay leaf and serano chili, just one for each bag of peas.
This was the first time I had found beef short ribs on sale in a very long time. Usually I have to make do with a chuck roast.
Ross- tightwad home cook