Chicken drumsticks.

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Chicken drumsticks.

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 01:24

Hi,
I am after the best possible recipe for smoked chicken drum sticks. I like to have a large plate of them on Christmas day.
Preferably an old family favourite, either coated/uncoated/hot/mild/spicy or with herbs, what ever members think was something that stood out. Ingredients are no problem.
I can cold and hot smoke, brine, BBQ ,roast etc whatever is neccesary.
And I don't mind where the recipe originated from!!!!!!!!!!!
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue Dec 13, 2011 02:00

Jan,

I have have only smoked brined chicken breasts to date, so no experience with "bone-in" poultry meat.
I can posted the brine recipe if you like but would caution for drum sticks.

What I would suggest for smoking (depending on your taste) is using 50% Apple chips and 50% Hickory chips. Everyone that I gave samples of the smoked chicken breasts loves the Hickory taste with a hint of sweet from the Apple wood.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 13, 2011 02:16

Thsi sounds like time for a project. the next time I find leg quarters for .60 USD per pound I shall try several methods. I am thinking a brine using apple cider instead of water? Apple jelly instead of sugar to mix with a dry cure? Celery salt instead of plain salt in the dry cure?
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 13, 2011 06:14

Jan , I just realized that it is coming real close to your summer solsitice down there. First class barby weather if you don't set the bush on fire. Our high temperature today was about 40° F. That is what about 5° C ?
My favorite marinade for chicken is lime juice , Black bean sauce, and olive oil and maybe a dash of white wine . 8 to 12 hours is enough. I cut an entire chicken and skewer it in pieces about the size of two fingers on bamboo and grill it. Works well hot or cold. That is the basic recipeother spice is optional.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 00:19

Hi Ross,
The weather is reasonable here at the moment. About 35 degrees Centrigrade with about 90% humidity.
BBQ and Pool weather. Now you know why I've been asking all these questions.
I like to expand my horizons.
Also, cold smoking is unheard of in summer here. It will have to be hot smoked salmon as well for Christmas.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:13

Jan , Summertime in Maryland is not so different. Daytime temperatures between 30 and 40 C and night times between 21 and 25 C are common. Sometimes cooler and sometimes but not often warmer. Summer thunder storms are common. They usually last less than a half hour.
Ross- tightwad home cook