Wild Hog meat

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Wild Hog meat

Post by Bubba » Wed Dec 21, 2011 17:48

Friends of mine asked if I would like some Wild Hog meat. (They keep it frozen)

I've been looking through the recipe index and can't find anything on the topic.

Has anyone had experience with wild Hog meat, can it be used for sausage or maybe even cured for ham?

Would appreciate any input. :smile:

:!: (I'm also not sure if I posted this in the right section; Chuckwagon, please help by moving it if I chose the wrong section)
Ron
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Wed Dec 21, 2011 18:27

I would absolutely try it for both sausage and ham. Just watch your fat content with the sausage. I may be wrong, but I would expect a wild boar to be a bit less fatty.

You're a lucky man!

Dave
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Wed Dec 21, 2011 18:51

Go to Texasboars.com. Scroll down to Recipes. They have a lot of good info, only problem is, you must be a member to post but can read free. Good luck.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 21, 2011 21:32

We have a menber here from East Texas and he will probably along shortly and be able to tell you everything you ever wanted to know about wild hogs.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 01:13

Bubba,
I have shot and eaten plenty of wild pigs over the years, and some were caught alive, dewormed and fattened up. No ill effects at all yet after 30 years.
You are one lucky person to have acces to this wild pig meat. If making sausages, you will probably have to add some fat as they are usually very lean.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Dec 22, 2011 01:53

nuynai wrote:Go to Texasboars.com
Thank you Nuynai, I have looked at the website and will read more later tonight. Very interesting.
crustyo44 wrote:some were caught alive, dewormed and fattened up
Jan, is it necessary to de-worm them always, i.e. rather cage them then slaughter after a while after treating?

This afternoon I also spoke to a friend and he referred me to a reliable person that will butcher the hog for me.
The people that offered me the meat said they will rather give me a "fresh" Hog, so wait until the hogs return (they root their crops), then I can collect the hog and have it butchered. They own a farm near Louisville, GA.
They also recommended to rather wait for a sow, apparently their meat has not as strong a "wild taste" as compared to a boar.
Ron
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Thu Dec 22, 2011 03:00

I have a buddy Ben who is a tool and die machinist. Every year one of his clients invite the boys down to Texas to hunt pigs with bow and arrow. They are quite successful. he manages to get one every year. We freeze the pork like you would to make certified pork.Then I trim as much fat away as I can usually they are quite lean. I use a ratio of about 30% wild pig 30% pork butts and 40% venison + any extra pork fat that I come across.I use the Kutas recipe for slim jims.We usually make 50-75 lbs. Hickory cold smoke for 6 hrs. then 100 degrees for 8 hrs. Then we bring the the temperature to 145 to finish. I believe this procedure gives us a safe product. Ben said he was hoping that we could make at least 100 lbs. this year.

John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 07:31

Hi guys,
Just a note here about trichinella spiralis. Too many people are under the impression that simply freezing meat in your kitchen refrigerator freezer compartment will eliminate the threat. It absolutely will not! "Certified pork" is meat that has been deeply (sub-zero) frozen for a prescribed amount of time set by the Department Of Agriculture. The USDA-FSIS regulations are here: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4808

Table 1: Required Period Of Freezing At Temperature Indicated
Temperature Group 1 (first number of days) Group 2 (second number of days)
5 degrees F. 20 / 30
-10 degrees F. 10 / 20
-20 degrees F. 6 / 12

The best way to eradicate the dangers of the trichinella spiralis larva is to simply cook the meat thoroughly. However, not all sausagemaking procedures allow the meat to be fully cooked or even cooked at all. In these cases, "certified pork" must be used. Because of new USDA regulations in American hog production during the 1970`s and 80`s, the disease in modern America has mostly been eliminated. For decades preceding the new rules, many hog producers fed hogs the entrails of other butchered hogs as the cycle continued until the modern rules were put into effect. By public demand over an extended period of time, American pork has become less fatty and mostly trichinae free.

However, this is NOT the case with many species of wild animals. Trichinella spiralis is a parasitic roundworm whose larval form may be present in the flesh of pork or many wild game animals. Most bear meat is infected and much wild boar is as well. When the larva is consumed, it settles in the muscles of the victim and its painful infection is known as trichinosis.

Please treat any wild game with a little caution and good sense. Either cook it satisfactorily or deep-freeze it following the USDA`s regulations. It`s interesting to note that in England, as well as in many other hog producing countries, trichinella spiralis is virtually unknown.

Always follow the recommended cooking temperatures in recipes. The internal temperature of cooked fresh pork must reach at least 150 °F. (65.5 °C.) All hot smoked sausages should be cooked to 155°F. (68 °C.). Never judge by looks alone, whether meat is cooked sufficiently, and always check the internal temperature using an accurate meat thermometer.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 22, 2011 14:58

CW, We can obtain dry ice here at fairly low cost. Would taking the temperature down to minus fifty in a well insulated cooler using dry ice be worth the effort?
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 22, 2011 17:00

Besides that Bob is dead.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 21:29

Ross, isn't it incredible how a jackass can try to disguise himself as a burro? When a Dog passes gas, isn't it called a DogFart?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 22, 2011 22:16

It is so easy and welcome to contribute constructively and such a sorry example of nit picking to search for and complain about small discrepancies. If using cotton cloth bags carries a risk of complicating the sausage making process with pathogens do we really need to know that the product won't stick if it is cold smoked?
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 23:40

Bubba,
De-worming wild pigs is really a neccessity here in the sub-tropics. This was the advise of a Vet mate of mine many years ago.
Mind you, your texas pigs could be free of them.
We used to catch the squeelers and take them home, de-wormed them and fattened them up on acorns, fallen fruit and hammermilled corn, wheat etc.
Regards,
Jan.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Dec 23, 2011 00:00

Hi Chuckwagon,

I think freezing to the recommendations is the way to go, thank you! :grin:
crustyo44 wrote:We used to catch the squeelers and take them home, de-wormed them and fattened them up on acorns, fallen fruit and hammermilled corn, wheat etc.
Hi Jan,
That's interesting, you are doing (and have been doing) the same as the people around here, everyone I talk to here says they trap them, then feed them on corn for a while before they butcher them.
partycook wrote:We freeze the pork like you would to make certified pork.
Thank you Partycook, yes, and as I said above, I think this is the way to go, mainly because I have nowhere to keep the sow.
Imagine how impressed the Home Owners association would be if I had to keep it in my Sub-division home garden. :lol:
Ron
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 01:21

Bubba,
When I wrote about de-worming the squeelers, I meant intestinal worms only.
I would still do the freezing bit though, JUST BE SAFE!!!!!!
Regards,
Jan.