Cutting up chicken.

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Cutting up chicken.

Post by ssorllih » Sat May 05, 2012 02:08

On another forum the subject of cutting chicken was raised and I offered to post videos of the effort. Today I was able to buy oven roasters for 60 cents per pound so I had enough to use for demonstration. http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... ew0002.mp4
This one shows the removal of boneless breast sections. http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... ew0004.mp4
The bones are of course cooked for the meat and stock and all of that is canned.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Mon May 07, 2012 02:54

Good job Ross!
You even sound a little bit like the Colonel! :mrgreen:
What do you do with the neck, giblets and left-over bones?
Godspeed!

Bob
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 07, 2012 03:06

From four chickens I Fried the livers and hearts for a snack, simmered the bones for stock, picked the remaining meat, Got a quart of meat, four quarts of stock and a bit over a cup of rendered fat. The meat and stock will be canned with onions,carrots, celery and mushrooms for soup base. The rendered fat is used for biscuits and pastry. The bones feed to neighborhood fox. I froze the wing portions, some of the boneless breast and the legs in packages to suit two people. Three of the breast portions are brining for pressed cooked sandwich meat and about 3.5 pounds are going to be ground for sausage
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Mon May 07, 2012 03:48

You cook like I do.
Godspeed!

Bob
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 07, 2012 03:55

I fill a pint jar one third with mixed veggies and one third with meat and thebalance with stock. No seasoning. The jars are pressure canned. At lunch a jar is emptied into a pan and a handful of noodles added along with salt, pepper and herbs and simmered until the noodles are done adding water as needed.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue May 08, 2012 02:33

Thank you Ross, I watch, learn and bookmark all your videos.

Other than watching good videos likes yours, it's not easy to find info on line.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue May 08, 2012 02:40

Thanks!
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 08, 2012 11:23

Great video Ross. Shucks, you'd make Francis Ford Coppola jealous!
You make it look easy and I believe you've cut up chicken once or twice before! :mrgreen:
I'm interested in seeing your brined chicken.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

The reasons that we do the things we do.

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 14, 2012 22:33

I posted the results of the formed ham chicken breasts in the "formed ham" thread.
But today is a good time to tell about the yield of this piece of work. From four Perdue oven stuffers I made a 3 pound sandwich meat loaf, 3½ pounds of sausage, ten packages of thighs, drums or breast in the freezer each enough for a meal for two people, eight pints of soup and a quart of stock canned in half pints. The cost was about 17 dollars.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jun 06, 2012 21:02

The day before yesterday I stopped at the food market and found ten pound bags of chicken leg quarters for $3.90 . I saw a young woman behind at check out and asked if she had seen these. She said "I don't like the legs."
I have a couple of friends with kids that do like the legs and having bought three bags cut two of them for the thighs and drumsticks. I cooked the back portions for stock and the fat.
The yield was ten thighs and ten drums for $4. The mothers were pleased ot get so much food for so little money. I asked each if they want some of the stock. One was kinda ho hum about it and the other gave an enthusiastic yes. I kept the pint of fat. I still have a bag to deal with for us.
Ross- tightwad home cook