[USA] Red Creek Smoked Duck

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] Red Creek Smoked Duck

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 08:16

Red Creek Duck And A "Big Drop" Are Born

In the month of June 1965, the Creator decided to recalibrate and enhance the river channel of the regal Green River throughout the wee hours in the morning of the 11th day. The waters of the Yampa River had always drifted lazily into the Green River at the point John Wesly Powell recorded as a "gentle confluence". Once his rivermen had struggled through the Canyon Of Ladore, Disaster Falls, and Hell's Half Mile, they found the Green River fairly subsided near the mouth of the Yampa. Prior to the summer of 1965, children played in the mild rapids enjoying the roller coaster ride of the gentle Yampa. Boy Scouts removed their shirts and local Colorado natives delighted in camping along the river, enjoying picnics and swimming in the cool water, and relaxing in the early summer sunshine.

All hell broke loose as it began to rain again. The watershed at Warm Springs along the Yampa became supersaturated as it had rained seventeen of the preceding twenty-one days. By the end of the day on June 10th, the soil on the steep slopes had become so inundated by rainwater, it couldn't possibly hold any more moisture. Campers didn't think much about the rainy June weather as they continued to enjoy the river wearing raincoats while they pitched tents and cooked supper. Then the earth started to move! Lubricated by heavy runoff, a slurry of soil, stones, uprooted trees and brush, along with drowned animals, turned into a heavy, wandering brown soup. It picked up speed and size as its path slowly straightened and built a wall of debris about fifteen feet high!

Crashing into the Yampa, side streams added to the flash floods and the mass of rock, mud, and gravel, rolled along the river until it became dammed. For a couple of hours on the 10th, the flow of the Yampa river in Colorado was completely stopped. Downstream at Echo Park, campers watched in complete bewildering astonishment. Suddenly without forewarning, the newly formed lake tumultuously gave loose, violently dumping enormous waves and walls of mud, a half-mile in length, into the channel of the Green River. Folks described the noise as being "much like a freight train".

Daylight on the 11th, found river-runners on the upper stream, unaware of the changes that had taken place. As they entered the location, they found newly formed, eroded bordering cliffs with massive overhangs along the river. At today's "Grand Overhang", a single stone has dropped straight down from the top of the thousand-foot cliff and was actually deposited on the opposite side of the river. Without having been warned of the massive alteration, two unassuming boats entered the newly formed treacherous rapids. The pilot of the first boat broke an oar churning water that must have seemed like a nightmare. His body was washed ashore downstream at Island Park seventeen days later.

Today, Warm Springs rapid is one of the longest along the Green River. Technically, it is the most complex to negotiate in the entire Colorado drainage system. Virtual waterfalls and exposed boulders mark the way making it nearly impossible to run the rapids on the left side of the channel. Boaters must hang to the right and drift, as oars or paddles cannot possibly reach the tops of the waves upon the water's surface!

The Green River travels 450 miles of its 730-mile length through eastern Utah. From Flaming Gorge (6,000 feet above sea level) to it's confluence with the Colorado River (3,000 feet above sea level), the river drops three thousand feet and at Split Mountain, downstream from Brown's Park, it drops 21 feet per mile, creating some of the most difficult rapids on the entire river. Fed by the Yampa and White Rivers from the east, and by the Duchesne, Price, and other mountain streams from the west, the Green gathers even more reinforcement along its journey toward it's confluence with the Colorado River just east of Robber's Roost at a place called "The Maze".

The length of the Colorado River and its main tributary, the Green River, is 2/3rds the width of the entire United States. Covering about 2,000 miles in combined total length, the rivers drain 300,000 square miles of the west - an area large as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri combined! I am willing to bet Sunday's grilled duck, its bottom is lined with metal, rusting Dutch ovens and canoes, several of which are mine! Although I make no claim to be a great river-runner, my biscuits "ain't bad"!

"Red Creek Duck"
(Dutch Oven Roasted Duck)

Red Creek Duck is prepared in three steps. First, the bird is steamed, the skin being punctured in several places, providing an escape for as much hot, rendering fat as possible. Second, it is dried overnight before being roasted. Third, it is smoked and roasted. Is it worth all this effort? Ohhhh yeah!

Never skin a duck! Simply prick the skin in several places without piercing the meat. Don`t get carried away. A few small holes allow drippings to drain adequately and freely. Place the duck upon its back upon an elevated cake rack inside a large camp (black cast-iron) Dutch oven containing a little water for steaming. Over medium-high heat, steam the bird twenty minutes with the lid in place, keeping the bird out of the water. Discard the water and allow the duck to cool and dry, hanging it up overnight.

Next day, rub as much "Red Creek Duck Rub" mixture between the skin and the flesh in as many places as possible, including the cavity, then tie the duck's legs together. Try placing half an onion inside the duck for even more flavor.

"Red Creek Duck" Rub

1/2 stick butter
pinch of white and cayenne peppers
pinch of onion and garlic powders
pinch of dry thyme
a "shake" of paprika
salt and black pepper to taste
3 tblspns. orange juice concentrate

The recipe for the rub is a little different from others, as you tweak it to your own preference. Use half a stick of butter and sprinkle a little white and cayenne pepper on it. Sprinkle on a bit of onion and garlic powder... not much - just to your taste. Add a pinch of dry thyme and a sprinkle of paprika. Salt and pepper the mixture and then mix in a few tablespoons of orange juice concentrate until it become smooth.

If you`re on the trail, place moistened alder sawdust and a little black tea inside a flat packet of loosely wrapped tinfoil inside your camp black-iron Dutch oven. Place the duck on a slightly elevated cake rack and smoke it lightly with the lid slightly ajar for twenty minutes over medium-low heat. Remove the foil with the charred sawdust, and finish roasting the duck. If you`re at home, why not use your barbecue grill to do the smoking twenty minutes as the bird is being roasted? If you would rather use your kitchen oven for roasting, simply smoke the bird outside on the grill twenty minutes first.

Roast the duck 25 minutes per pound at 375 degrees. If the bird browns too quickly during the last thirty minutes, lower the heat to 350 degrees. On the trail, rotate the Dutch oven and add coals to the lid. Roast the duck until its internal meat temperature is 165° F. The carry over effect will finish the bird at about 172°F.

The pros cook the bird's legs and thighs five minutes longer than its other parts. At home, it's convenient to use a black skillet inside your kitchen oven to roast a quacker, uncovered, at 375 degrees F., for 25 minutes per pound. Watch the bird carefully and remember to turn the heat down to 350 degrees F. if it starts to brown too quickly during the last half-hour. The process is simple and produces a glaze and flavor on the bird you must sample to believe! Most folks make an amazing discovery at this point... the flavor of the crispy, browned skin is worth fighting for... with Colt .45's! :shock: Enjoy my quacker recipe... it`s a good-un`.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Jul 22, 2012 14:59

Man, what a post!

In the summer of' '73, my wife (5 months pregnant with our first), my mother-in-law, and I floated the Yampa and Green rivers with good friends turned outfitters. We still have a "Warm Springs Rapid" oar fragment on the wall, alongside other sports trophies of the day such as a pair of "shorty" skis with cable bindings. Adventure isn't adventure unless it includes a skunk in the tent, topless coeds doing the breakfast dishes in the river :!: , and looking at dinosaur bones at the pull-out area.

Nowadays, mother-in-law is gone, two daughters have given us four grandkids, and we talk about what fun we will have floating the Yampa and Green with the new generations, once the grandkids are about ten years older.

Thanks for a trip down memory lane. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 22, 2012 17:39

I took a wrong turn looking for dinosaur national monument and ended up at castle rock down along the green river. There was a lone house there and I asked a woman doing some cooking about the best way back out. She saidthe way you came in is best but the weather is dry and if you can drive the road marked for 4-wheel drive only will work. It did and I am here and I would love to go back. the year was 1962.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 22, 2012 18:10

Geez, you guys have long memories. Get the local archives to record the stories so that the future generations can hear them!

That duck recipe sounds fascinating CW. We don't eat duck at home because my wife thinks that she does not like it. But one of these days I will try it, and eat it myself.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 22, 2012 18:31

Red, if you don't remember your adventures then they may as well have never happened. My sister and I were remembering the houses where we lived as children and we determined that I have some fairly accurate memories back to age three.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 22, 2012 21:52

ssorllih wrote:Red, if you don't remember your adventures then they may as well have never happened. My sister and I were remembering the houses where we lived as children and we determined that I have some fairly accurate memories back to age three.
Well, I guess during my working career I was too busy helping others remember the past, studying history, documenting events and managing historical records, that I had little time to examine my own historical footprint. I worked as an archivist for 30 years. Maybe now since I'm retired I will begin the process.

Did you know that reflecting on the past is a natural part of aging? This is well documented in numerous gerontological studies. It is not only is therapeutic but contributes to documenting and preserving the past for future generations. That is why seniors are usually more interested in history, they like to recall their experiences and events they witnessed, are into genealogy and want to leave some sort of legacy before they move on.

So guys keep those stories coming. I always enjoy a good blast from the past.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 22, 2012 22:33

The part that troubles me is that I can't remember my next door neighbor's name but I can remember names of people that I knew sixty years ago. Of course I don't remember many of those names from the past but I am astonished when one comes to mind with very little effort.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jul 22, 2012 22:40

Yeah CW, the memories are awesome. Brings me back to my days in Vernal, playing in Flaming Gorge and running the Green as well. The year(s) were 1980 - 1987. We caught some of the finest Rainbow Trout in that area, and shot my first Elk and Mulie. What a place! What a time!

Oh yeah...I have 4 Pekin ducks about 2 months old in the barn and just waiting for that Dutch Oven. Recipe sounds great.

Dave
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:25

The ducks in this country have it made! They know almost everyone is afraid to cook them because of their unusually high fat content. Actually, there's no big mystery regarding their preparation and with just a few ol sourdough`s rules, you may make the "tasty quackers" nervous once more. And Dave, our non-native, domestic, Long Island duck has only been in North America since 1873, nearly a decade following the Civil War, when only nine birds were imported to Long Island, New York. Americans attempting to render the large amount of fat stored beneath its skin usually made the simple mistake of overcooking this Asian "Pekin" species, producing dry meat with tough texture. A properly cooked duck renders clear juices with pink flesh. Above all... it has a crispy skin!

When John Wesley Powell made his way down the Green And Colorado Rivers in 1869, America's only ducks were entirely untamed and feral. Several species of wild ducks provide more flavor and less fat than their domestic, farm-raised "Long Island" cousins, although a few types of "pond floaters" are pretty hard to choke down and taste noticeably like fish. However, generally most wild ducks boast superb flavor and require little pre-steaming, if any, to eliminate excess fat.

John Wesley Powell and his men were poisoned on July 6th, 1869, having eaten "potato tops" from a garden found along the Green River! :shock: A weathered old trapper named Johnson, and his Ute Indian wife had planted the garden during the previous winter and now the men all became sick, vomiting severely "groaning and tumbling in the trees". An entry in Powell's journal states "potato tops are not good on the sixth day of July". Two days later, the one-armed Major Powell, with fellow river man G.Y. Bradley, climbed a 2,000 foot red-rock wall of the canyon and peered back into the abyss. Failing to reach the chasm's crest, Powell named it Desolation Canyon on the eighth of July. Our ranch is located on the plateau westward up and out of this "Desolation Canyon" on the Green River where my grandfather homesteaded the land. The Green flows through this craggy canyon and merges with the Colorado River downstream just before it enters the notorious Cataract Canyon - called "the graveyard of the Colorado". Its rapids have killed more men than any other river in the entire west! On July 9th, Powell described the river as "rough" and stopped at a "canyon valley stretching up toward the west, it's farther end lost in the mountains". Powell, depicting the ninety-mile-long gorge, later named it Nine-Mile Canyon. Finally succeeding in another attempt to climb the canyon wall, riverman Seneca Howland shot a deer on the high plateau and pushed it`s life sustaining carcass into the river from the fifteen-hundred foot high cliff. Nearby, the canyon boasts the enclosure of an ancient Anasazi village, complete with granery and the world's largest concentrated display of ancient Fremont and Anasazi Indian pictographs and petroglyphs.

"Desolation Duck & Dip"
(Grilled Duck With Sauces)

Have you ever grilled a duck? It`s a great way to prepare them. Grilled ducks are best cooked with garlic and ginger slivers placed inside the flesh or beneath the skin. Discard the fat just inside the body cavity of the bird and with the duck placed upon its breast, use the tip of a sharp knife to slit the fatty part of the duck beneath each wing. Insert a garlic clove and a sliver of ginger on both sides. Use the tip of the knife to prick the skin all over the bird, carefully avoiding piercing the meat. Now, place the duck, breast side up, upon the grill, rubbing the duck with salt and pepper. Magic is accomplished inside your covered gas grill, using indirect heat with the two middle burners turned off. Fruitwoods are placed in the smoker box and go particularly well with duck. Try apple or cherry. Be sure to use a drip pan to avoid flare-ups. Fire up the outside burners to medium only, then pull the cover down and cook the quacker until the skin is mahogany brown (about 1-1/2 hours). Drain the juices and fat and check the meat with a baby dial thermometer. Continue cooking the duck until it is perfectly done in about another hour or when your thermometer reads 165 degrees F. The carry over effect will finish the bird at about 172 degrees. It is very important to NOT exceed this temperature. I`d even go so far as to say your success or failure depends upon this critical finishing temperature. Allow the duck to rest five minutes before serving it with plenty of sweet and sour cherry-cinnamon sauce we call "Desolation Duck Dip".

"Desolation Duck Dip"
(Hot Cherry Sauce For Ducks)

15 oz. fresh or canned cherries
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1-1/2 tspns. cornstarch
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup port wine
juice of 1 lemon
1-cup chicken stock
1 stick cinnamon
2 tspns. honey

Inside a deep saucepan, cook the sugar, honey, vinegar, lemon juice, and the chicken stock together for a couple of minutes over medium heat. Mix the cornstarch with the cold water in a separate container then stir it into the mixture, raising the heat to thicken it. Add the remaining ingredients and continue cooking the sauce over medium heat until it is thick and bubbly. Turn the heat off, remove, and discard the cinnamon stick after five minutes.

"Colorado Cranberry Duck Drench"
(Hot Cranberry Sauce For Ducks)

You can`t beat this recipe with a stick! If you like cranberries, you`ll love this sauce. Remove the duck and fat from the skillet or Dutch oven. Add the port and heat it to deglaze the utensil, scraping up any browned bits of fond. Add the butter, melt it slowly, stir in the flour, and make a roux. Next, pour in the chicken or duck broth and whisk the mixture until it is smooth and thickened. Stir in the orange juice and brown sugar then add the cranberries and cook the mixture over high heat until the cranberries pop open in 2 or 3 minutes. Add the cayenne then salt and pepper to taste. If the mixture is too tart, add more brown sugar. To serve the duck, cut it in half lengthwise and pour the sauce over each serving. Here are the ingredients you`ll need:

1/4 cup port wine
2 tblspns. butter
2 tblspns. flour
1 cup chicken or duck broth
1/4 cup orange juice
3 tblspns. brown sugar
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
dash of cayenne pepper
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper

"Whiskey Springs Orange"
(Outlaw's Hot Orange Duck Sauce)

2 tspns. grated orange peel
1/2 cup orange juice
1-1/2 tblspns. orange schnapps
2 tblspns. currant jelly
1 tblspn. lemon juice
dash of dry mustard
1-1/2 tspns. cornstarch mixed in 2 tblspns. cold water

* Combine all the ingredients and heat the mixture slowly until it boils, bubbles, and thickens, stirring constantly. Serve it hot over smoked duck.

:razz: ______________________ :grin:

And Ross ol` buddy, don`t throw away your duck bones. Make some duck soup. Here`s how.

"Green River Riverwater"
(Duck Stock)

2 (5-pound) dressed ducks
3 celery ribs (quartered)
2 onions (quartered)
1 green bell pepper (quartered)
64 oz. chicken broth
2 quarts water
2 bay leaves
5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tspn. black peppercorns

Place the ducks on a rack in a large Dutch oven and bake them at 350° until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 170° (about 2 hours). Cool the ducks completely then remove the meat from the bones (to be used for another dish). Combine the duck bones and the remaining ingredients in the Dutch oven and bring the liquid to boil. Immediately reduce the heat and barely simmer the liquid uncovered, for an hour. Skim the fat and foam from the top of the stock following the first 10 minutes of simmering, and then pour the stock through a wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, discarding the solids.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D