Big Bird

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Big Bird

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Nov 05, 2012 14:21

I picked up a frozen turkey for Thanks at my local Way, 21 pounds, $12.39. For the past couple of decades I've been deep-frying the Thankgiving bird, always in the 13-14lb range. The 21lb. bird just snuggles right into a 5-gallon bucket, so brining in CW's 7-up solution will be a piece of cake. As there's so much of a variable as to how much time it will take to smoke a 21lb bird I plan to smoke it the day before Thanks, pull it when it's ready, and just throw the bird into the fridge. There's only three of us to feed and I'm thinking we'll just slice and micro-zap what we're going to eat right before dinner. What I'm wondering is; is there any kind of size limit on how big a turkey should be for smoking? I still have plenty of time to get a 15lb bird at 59≠ a pound. I'm still kind of shocked that the boss (wife) would disregard twenty years of holiday tradition just because the smoked birds taste so much better, are way jucier, and there's no oil mess, or expense. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 05, 2012 15:15

I always cut my turkeys up into pieces because there just the two of us. That way I am able to cook the carcass for stock and can most of that. Then I can cure and smoke the meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Nov 05, 2012 16:19

I suspect that the longer you can smoke it, the better off it will be, but within limits. Poultry is easier to over-smoke than, say, brisket, but with a monster like that (and lacking an ostrich or emu recipe for guidance), I'd go low-and-slow with plenty of smoke for two hours, then jack up the temperature as follows below.

'round here, a good reference is "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook" by Robb Walsh. His turkey recipe is attributed to a Czech descendent from legendary 'Texas BBQ Trail' town, Lockhart, by the name of Vencil Mares. (I won't go into the rub or baste materials- - use your own favorite concoctions.)

The recipe calls for a water pan, indirect heat, heavy smoke, smoke temperature of 275 to 300 deg.F, and basting every so often. Check after 4 hours, looking for 160 deg.F in that magic spot deep in the thigh.

Our family has done this version twice, both with excellent results. I plan to do it again this year, but will use the 7-Up brine method and two hours of smoke at 130 - 140 deg.F for prep.

Don't forget to include cure in your preparation if you're going to smoke it at low temperature (below 155 F, say) for any length of time. Otherwise, either CW or a whole swarm of bacteria (probably the latter) will "gitcha." :mrgreen:

P.S. Looking at Ross's post reminds me, :idea: the carcass makes good "turkey bone soup" or gumbo, but will have a definite smoky flavor. This can be good or bad or overwhelming, depending on how intense it is. The idea of whacking the bird apart and cooking the carcass separate from the meat makes real good sense, especially for that size bird.

...would love to hear your recipe details, Ray. I know it'll be good. "Inquiring Minds want to know:" What kind of sawhorse wood makes the most flavorful smoke for turkeys? (...turkies?) (...hokies?) :roll:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Nov 05, 2012 21:49

Hey Ducko, I make my sawhorses out of Douglas fir with a half inch plywood gusset on each end, not very good smoking stuff at all. It's funny because I've had a bag of alder and one of hickory sitting in the garage for about five years, all I ever seem to use when smoking is applewood.

I just talked to my sausage buddy from the Safeway meat department and he says the 21lb bird is too large for smoking, so I'll be getting a smaller one, maybe 14-15 pounds. Of course I'll be adhering to CW's now famous "Smoke & Choke - 7-up" turkey brining recipe, it's helped make me a legend in my own mind. I smoke everything at the temps recommended for my Pro 100 on the PS Seasonings recipe site along with CW's input about everything else, works perfect every time. Here's the smoking procedure they recommend for poultry, and notice at the bottom they seem to max-out at a 15 pound bird.

Smoking Procedure
Preheat smoker to 110 degrees F; open damper 3/4.

Hang product in stockinettes (no parts touching).

Insert temperature probe into ball socket joint, but not touching bone.

Run at this temperature for 1 hour.

Increase thermostat to 125 degrees F; place 1/3 pan sawdust (moistened) on burner.

After 4 hours place another 1/3 pan of moistened sawdust on burner. Increase temperature to 140 degrees F. Close dampers.

After 4 hours remove sawdust pan; increase temperature to 185 degrees F.

Heat at this temperature until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.

Turn OFF thermostat and let cool to 100 degrees F.

Note: In the absence of an injector a cover pickling method may be used as follows:

3-5 lb. 36 hours
6-8 lb. 40 hours
9-11 lb. 50 hours
13-14 lb. 60 hours
15 lb. 70 hours

Note: For less smoke, use 2/3 pan and omit second smoking.

Note: For best results poultry 6 lbs. and up should be pumped and then submerged from 5 - 10 hours.

I use about twice the recommended amount of wood chips because I like a strong smoky flavor, stick to the guide lines on everything else. I'm blessed to have such a great life, I'll donate that 21lb bird to a place that will turn it into Thanksgiving dinner for those a bit less fortunate than I. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Nov 05, 2012 23:45

I guess we should start referring to "a side of turkey" just like we do beef, huh? That is definitely one BIG bird. Are you sure it's not the Tyson and Perdue folks' answer to the Oscar Meyer Wiener-Mobile? And who will Ernie & Bert and Elmo and Oscar the Grouch play with, now? :cry:

Three people versus a 24-lb turkey- - hardly a fair fight, unless you guys are plenty hungry. Who would you share it with- - the city of Sacramento & environs, perhaps? :lol:

I'm envious of your Pro 100. (Mine's an Amateur 1.00 in comparison.)

Ross has the right approach, I bet- - surely you could raise the beast on hydraulic jacks, cut it into its component parts, lift 'em on chain hoists to individual pairs of sawhorses one by one, and prepare them in small(er) multi-family batches.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 05, 2012 23:52

You can get pretty good cutlets from the boneless breast. I treat them just like veal. Not the same but very good. just one smoked thigh from a bird that big is enough for three people.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Nov 06, 2012 00:16

Now that I'm back from the Way with a 14.5 pound turkey and read this I think parting the big bird out and smoking what I'd like could be the way to go. Brine the breast, thighs and legs for smoking on racks and turn the rest into soup. When I've taken wild turkey in the past I breast them out for the weber and turn the remainder of the bird into soup, we love soup when it's cold outside. Yep, I'll just leave the philanthropy to my wife, things work better that way. RAY
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 04:14

I think that if I had access to such a cheaply priced gobbler, I would buy a couple large ones and bone them out for sausage. You will easily get 50% of the weight in meat. The leftover bones make an excellent stock that you can can or freeze and use rather than those salty boullion cubes.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 06, 2012 04:34

The best deal I have ever made on meat was the day after the US thanksgiving day and Safeway had over bought fresh turkeys in the over 20 pound group. They were up against the sellby and priced at $5 each. I bought five. I played with all manner of recipes that year.
Ross- tightwad home cook