Applewood Smoked Gouda and Provolone

Smokin Don
User
User

Applewood Smoked Gouda and Provolone

Post by Smokin Don » Wed Dec 05, 2012 08:14

I wanted some smoked cheese for Christmas so needed to get it done; it needs to age a couple of weeks after smoking. Monday I bought a chunk of Gouda, from Holland and a chunk of sharp provolone from Wisconsin. I would have enough to give some away for gifts too.

I smoked a batch awhile back that turned out good. Cheese needs to be cold smoked, keeping temps. below 90 deg. F. It was just below 60 deg. today so that would work. I used my Traeger pellet smoker for the smoke chamber and for the smoke I used an Amazn tube smoker and a RSI, reusable spice smoker, from Smokn Spice to generate the smoke. I filled them both with 100 % apple wood pellets.

When I got them both lit and smoking good on the bottom rack; I placed the cheese on a frog mat on the second shelf. I have the ability to just run the blower fan on my Traeger but found the smokers work better without it. I place a wooden clothespin under the front edge of the lid for some air intake.

I placed my remote temp probe on the top grate just under the cheese to monitor the temperature. I was able to keep it below 80 deg. F. I smoked the cheese for two hours and had a nice color.

I got it all vacuum packed and in the fridge. It should be just right for Christmas.

My cheese

My smoker set up

Sliced cheese

After one hour of smoke

Done after two hours

I cooled the cheese awhile in the fridge before packing

All vacuum packed

Smokin Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:06

Wow! Don, that stuff even looks "amazin". :mrgreen: I can only imagine how it tastes. What a terrific gift for someone to have during the holidays. Do you make a little sausage with it too, for friends and relatives?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:19

Chuckwagon wrote:Wow! Don, that stuff even looks "amazin". :mrgreen: I can only imagine how it tastes. What a terrific gift for someone to have during the holidays. Do you make a little sausage with it too, for friends and relatives?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
I would like to but I am a little lacking when it comes to sausage making. After the holidays will be looking for some help on making sausage. I may make some of my smoked Cajun crackers, olive oil and seasoned saltine crackers. They are addictive and would go great with the cheese. When I get time I will post the recipe. Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:04

I smoked some cheddar way back in January this year and it has stayed mold free in the fridge all year. Don That work looks lovely.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 07, 2012 18:33

I am doing some salmon , cheddar, gouda and pepper jack for a friend on my disposable racks. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 08, 2012 04:20

Pear smoked salmon. 12 hours @ 49°F Image
Ross- tightwad home cook