[USA] Smoked Cajun Crackers

Smokin Don
User
User

[USA] Smoked Cajun Crackers

Post by Smokin Don » Thu Dec 06, 2012 08:44

I am pretty new in here but have seen a lot of great meats in here, brined, cured, (wet or dry), stuffed and smoked. Make a batch of these crackers and I garontee they will go great with your favorite meats or cheese for some great appetizers. caution they are addictive. Even my 91 year old Mother loves them.

Cajun and Korean on the smoker

Korean on top, Cajun on the bottom

My recipe

Smoked Cajun crackers Oct 2012
2 sleeves saltine crackers
1 cup olive oil, EV or light
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
2 TBS crushed red pepper

Above is the recipe from my Texan sister. I use 3/4 cup light olive oil, 1/2 pkg. dressing mix, and 1 heaping TBS red pepper. This suites my taste buds. Stir olive oil, dressing mix, & red pepper well. Empty crackers into a sealable container, like tupper ware. I try to pour them out standing up. Drizzle the olive oil mix over crackers. Put lid on & gently shake & rotate to get crackers coated. Do this several times & best if let set over night for crackers to soak up all the olive oil. Surprisingly after soaking up the olive oil they are still crispy.
Serve as a snack or with your favorite appetizer, like jalapeno poppers, ABT`s, or smoked meats, also great with or in soups.

Note: don't use fat free crackers, they don't soak up the olive oil like they should

Take these one step further & smoke. Simply delicious & the crackers take on a good smoke flavor. I did mine at 170 to 180 for 1 1/2 hours.
It's best if you can stack them standing up in a wire basket. And I drizzle a little more olive oil over top.

My latest recipe is

3 sleeves of saltine crackers
1 cup of ELOO extra light olive oil
1/2 package Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix
1 heaping tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning (optional)

I have made these both ways with or without the optional ingredients.
You could experiment with different seasonings but for heat the crushed red peppers seem to stick better and more even than ground seasonings. I think you always need the ranch dressing mix.

My latest is Smoked Korean crackers

Smoked Cajun crackers have been a favorite snack food of our family and a lot of friends. The latest seasoning I have played with is using Korean chili flakes or Korean red pepper flakes. I call these Smoked Korean crackers.

3 sleeves saltine crackers, I prefer Nabisco original
1 cup of ELOO or EVOO, I prefer the extra light olive oil
1/2 package Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix
A heaping Tbs. Korean chili flakes

The Korean chili flakes give the crackers a more complex flavor than the crushed red pepper flakes. The first bite comes across as very mild but then you get a pleasant heat in your mouth after. You have to use authentic Korean chili flakes, used for making Kimchee. You should be able to find these in an Asian market, but are hard to find on the internet. I got mine from Amazon
Last edited by Smokin Don on Sat Dec 22, 2012 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:14

Great recipes Don. Thanks for sharing. Your recipes will go into the MRI (Member's Recipe Index) on Sunday night. Lots of folks are going to try this one! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 19:30

Hi Don,
You are fast becoming this forums hidden treasure. Smoked crackers!!!!!!, never eaten them or even heard of them. Not for long though, they will be served at Christmas time here with all the other smoked meats, fish and cold beer.
Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 06, 2012 21:41

This method should also make wonderful croutons. A great upgrade on the Chex cereal snack mixtures.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Dec 08, 2012 02:15

Those things look fabulous Don. Thanks for sharing.