Sauage and cornmeal terrine

Smokin Don
User
User

Sauage and cornmeal terrine

Post by Smokin Don » Tue Dec 11, 2012 08:24

Dec 09 2012

I always wanted to make a meat terrine, but I must have figured it would be one of those things I would fix and only I would eat it. I was looking for a recipe to use up three sausage patties, I had done on my Traeger pellet smoker that were slightly over salted!

I ran across a recipe by Mario Batali of foodnetwork.com, Warm Terrine of Sausage, Peppers, Polenta and Mozzarella. That sounded good and not too hard to make.

Saturday I made up the terrine. I crumbled the sausage patties and got all the other ingredients ready. It said to assemble fast so the cornmeal would pour easily. It said to use a 12X4X4 terrine pan. The closest I had was a bread loaf pan so that would have to do.

I heated up the six cups of water with a tablespoon of bacon grease; to a boil and added the two cups of cornmeal stirring as I went. When I got it all in it was one step beyond pourable so I really had to work fast. I stirred in the ¼ cup of parmesan since I was having tomato gravy over it. Using a large spoon I was able to get all the layers in and smoothed down. I only used about ¾ of the ingredients so I stirred what was left into what cornmeal was left and into a pan to save. After it cooled it went in the fridge overnight.

I had a package of garlic cheddar biscuit mix, Pioneer Mills that would go good with it. I baked them early but didn`t get them as brown as I wanted but they were done; I should have left them in the oven a little longer.

The terrine came out of the pan nicely and I sliced off three slices to have. I did them on my Traeger at 300 deg. for 35 minutes then went to 325 deg. and sprayed them with some olive oil cooking spray. While they were cooking I made up my tomato gravy. Checking the smoker the terrine slices looked done so went to 180 deg. to hold while the gravy finished.

I served the wife and I a slice of the terrine and two biscuits topped with the tomato gravy. We both liked it. I think it would have been better if I would have just heated the terrine slices and serve as a warm polenta. When I put cornmeal in a mold I think mush and it is fried crispy. With the sausage being cooked it came out slightly dry.

The recipe at foodnetwork said for the first step to pour the cornmeal to within ¾ inch of the top. I knew that was wrong since you would not have room for all the layers. I think it meant to pour ¾ inches of cornmeal in the bottom. I think it would also be good for breakfast or lunch with eggs over top. That will be my lunch for tomorrow.

Ingredients CW, cornmeal, sausage, mozzerella, parmesan, peppers and garlic

Roasting the garlic

Sauteeing the peppers

Ready for the fridge overnight

Came out of the pan nice

Sliced

On the smoker

My Plate

Smokin Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 09:35

Don, that is just amazing. And with a professional write-up like that, along with photos, you should be a food columnist! Your "terrine" looks delicious!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Thu Dec 13, 2012 17:32

Chuckwagon wrote:Don, that is just amazing. And with a professional write-up like that, along with photos, you should be a food columnist! Your "terrine" looks delicious!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Thanks CW, I forgot to add it would be best to keep all the layered an inch away from the sides as you add them. I didn't do that for the meat and peppers & had a little trouble keeping it all together cooking it. Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/